SOLVED

"Gale?"

"What's up? It's 2 in the afternoon."

"Um... My step-mother says she'll talk to her attorneys about me staying somewhere else."

"Isn't that good?"

"Scared. I don't have a... Home."

"Home is where the heart is."

"I may be stupid, but I know that's cheesy."

"Haha, whatever. So how are you feeling?"

"Nervous but excited. When she comes back, she'll tell me the result. Tammy gave me a letter today. She told me to read it when I move out."

"Oh...she will miss you."

"Maybe."

"Mum and I are cleaning the spare room. What's your favourite colour?"

"Yellow, why?"

"For the room decor. The walls are light yellow and the floor is white tiles with a mat by the bed. It's a nice mat, I guess. I wouldn't know, but mum told me to tell you "it's absolutely ravishing"...shush, mum, I'm talking to her!"

"Um... That's nice..."

"It is. It's all white and fluffy... See mum?! I told her! ... Sorry about that. She's disturbing me."

"I-it's alright. H-hey, um, t-tell me more about m-my new room?"

"Of course! Okay, so, no mum! I'm telling her what the room looks like! What do you mean I suck at explaining- hey, what are you doing- mum, no- he-"

"Hey dear! It's Gale's mother, but you must call me Lulu or mum, do you understand?"

"I-I..."

"You're scaring her!"

"My, I'm sorry, dear! Why don't you just stay quiet and I'll describe the room, okay?"

"..."

"Well, your bed is a single bed, but it's got lovely covers and all. They're light green, I hope you don't mind. There's a night stand and I found this gorgeous yellow vase and filled it with yellow flowers. I even changed the curtains to yellow lace. Now, what else? Hmm, oh, of course. I don't know how many clothes, you have dear, but we'll go shopping, okay? If you're nervous, you can bring Gale with you. He's such a cutie pie, isn't he?"

"Mum, I'm standing right here!"

"Why don't you just do your chores, son! Anyway, sorry, dear, oh! You've got a lovely view of our garden. We take extra care of it, so you'll have to see!"

"..."

"The wardrobe is really cool."

"Cool? Seriously mum?"

"Chores! It's nice and black but when you open it, it's got a mirror and neat little drawers and a rack. So useful. There's even a special area for shoes. Gale doesn't have that privilege."

"Are you serious? I don't need a special section for shoes!"

"Gale, shush, honey. You have a mirror and small vanity desk. Oh the mirror is gorgeous! It's one of those chic designs with metal strips coming out of it in an intricate pattern. You've got a bookshelf with some old books, if you want to read any. Our house has five rooms and it's two floors, so it's quite a lot of walking. Our neighbourhood is safe and friendly. We're good friends with the Turners; they're our neighbours. Gale's father is a businessman, he's barely home and I miss him dearly, but I don't work. I can't, or my baby will be alone."

"You're making me look bad."

"..."

"Evangeline, I'm awesome, I swear!"

"I know."

"She said she knows! Oh, such a pretty voice. Now, I know you're a guest, but I'm getting old and I need help cleaning. Do you want to go to school? You've got two years, if you want."

"I gave her my old textbooks. She can bring those with her."

"How sweet of you, honey. I went to university, so I'll help as much as I can. I take it you can make waffles?"

"...y-yes."

"I'll teach you to make anything you want."

"I...I used to make meals for my f-father."

"Ooh, how talented. I can't wait for you to come here, dear."

"Okay, mum, time's up."

"...me too. Um... L-Lulu?"

"Yes, dear?"

"Can Gale come with me to see my father? I think you know what happened."

"Of course he can, dear. Let me tell you something. Gale's a popular boy. He got asked out by friends to hang out, but he'd refuse and wait for you to call."

"..."

"He's only ever got two girlfriends. He's seventeen, for heaven's sake. But trust me when I say he will take care of you. The only thing he's ever done ever since you called him is look for a way to help you."

"..."

"So, dear, you are special. Don't forget that. Okay, here's the phone back to Gale. Gale, honey!"

"What did you tell her? Hey, what did she tell you? God not my baby stories."

"That's for when she comes here, honey!"

"Oh god. Evangeline?"

"She's very nice. A-and you are. The room sounds lovely. You make me so..."

"You're a lovely girl too. So how about school?"

"I'm a loner."

"I'll be with you."

"I know we will be in different classes."

"You'll be protected. Trust me."

"I'll think about it. When are you free?"

"School starts in two weeks, I'm free during that entire time."

"Um...sure. Can you come down to see my father with me... In two days?"

"Of course I can."

"I'll text you the details. My step-mother is back... Everything will be okay?"

"Yes, it will."

Beep, beep...

"Please be."