5; flea and the acrobat

5. FLEA AND THE ACROBAT

❝NOTHING REALLY MATTERS, ANYONE CAN SEE, NOTHING REALLY MATTERS, NOTHING REALLY MATTER TO ME. ANYWAY THE WIND BLOWS,❞

edited

She stared in the mirror staring at her appearance sadly. Her shaky hands smoothed down the creases of her black dress, untangling the lace. Her hair covered a half of her face, the only eye visible covered in dark eye makeup. Dustin had gotten up earlier and peddled over to Mike's. It hurt her slightly that her brother didn't want to go to the funeral with her but she supposed he was comforted more with his friends then an overbearing older sister. She sat down on the chair as she laced up her boots, her hands couldn't stop shaking.

This was half because of the amount of caffeine she'd consumed last night whilst researching the creature she'd seen with Nancy and Jonathan. Alas no information had come up for she'd only found folk stories. She didn't understand why the funeral was still taking place if they had proof Will might still be alive. She shook her head, their 'proof' would convince little if they released it.

Winona sighed staring at the mirror once more before turning around. She walked outside her closing the door to her house with a shut push. The bus stop was only a few minutes away and she enjoyed the soft sweet tranquility. Even in the early morning the bus was stuffy and full of people. Her funeral attire was met with whisperings about Will's death. She sat at the front next to a wizened old lady in a mottled yellow cardigan. Her hands lay in her lap as she interlocked her fingers. The palms were sweaty reflecting her nervousness. Thankfully the ride was short and no sooner she was on it then she was gone.

The air was dry and windless that day. The heat that bounced off the cement seemed to absorb right into her black dress and she found herself sweating quickly. She wondered how Jonathan was doing right now. She wasn't exactly sure what she felt towards him. It was definitely something, her heart beat quicker around him, she loved being in his company and she wanted nothing more than to hug him until the world ended. But love was more than the textbook definition she was feeling and the schoolgirl crush she harbored for him was nothing more.... Right?

The cemetery lay on a dry, treeless expanse of land with a chapel across the road off it. A small crowd had already assembled as she walked towards the group. Jonathan was seated on a chair wearing a dress shirt and jacket. He saw her and straightened tilting his head towards the free chair next to him. She shook her head at him as Dustin looked over at her. She stood behind her little brother wrapping an arm around him and bringing him close for a kiss on the cheek. Jonathan looked away whispering some words of affection to his mother.

How Joyce had even managed to get herself out of bed Winona didn't know. The preacher began his long sermon but all Winona could do was stare at Joyce. The mother was staring blankly into the distance seemingly unable to grasp the fact that she was in fact at her sons funeral, be it dead or alive. No parent should ever outlive their child. Yellow and white roses were tossed over his casket as everyone paid their respects. Joyce and Lonnie stood by it as people wished them their best wishes. Winona nodded at Lonnie before pulling Joyce in a warm hug. The hug was fleeting but Winona would never forget the shivers wracking through Joyce's body.

Dustin had wandered off with Mike and Lucas whilst Winona sat on the dead grass, her back leaning against a rusted picketed fence with Jonathan and Nancy. "Okay," Jonathan began, "This is where we know for sure it's been," Jonathan said.

"Steve's house, the forest where they found Will's bike and Jonathan's house," Winona listed off. In the dirt on the ground she drew three spots then drew lines in-between them connecting into a triangle. "You know we can use these three points to triangulate the position,"