8: the upside down

8. THE UPSIDE DOWN

❝A PAINTER SHOULD BEGIN EVERY CANVAS WITH A WASH OF BLACK, BECAUSE ALL THINGS IN NATURE ARE DARK EXCEPT WHERE EXPOSED BY THE LIGHT,❞

edited

Winona was scared. There was no point lying about it. She was absolutely positively terrified. But she couldn't show it, what they were about to do, she just couldn't. Her hands were shoved into her pocket so no one could see them shake and she had paced backwards and force adding points to there growing plan. The Beyer's residence was a good place to start, since everything that had happened was connected and they'd broken into the police station and gotten back their supplies (Winona and Nancy had perfectly distracted them).

They dropped the box of supplies in the middle of the store, Winona reaching into her back pocket to check her gun was still there. Silently and efficiently they began to set up the fairy lights stringing them up around the room. After that they set up the bear trap, Jonathan hitting the nails in whilst the girls loaded up in ammunition.

"You cool?" Winona asked as she poured oil around the house in a line as Jonathan came back with a bat with nails sticking out of it. Jonathan nodded giving her a quick short smile.

"It's time," Nancy murmured pulling out her pen knife. Winona squirmed taking a kitchen knife from Jonathan. "Remember the plan?" Jonathan asked looking between the girls.

"Like the back of my hand," Winona gave a confident smile to both of them," Okay on 3. 1 2 3,"

On three they sliced the palm of their hands letting the blood fall to the ground in the hopes that it would attract the monster. Winona swore loudly squeezing her hand shut, "That stings like a bitch,"

Collectively Nancy and Jonathan laughed but she didn't see didn't see the humour.

They sat down on the couch wrapping gauze around their hands. There was a creak and they all stopped. "Did you hear that?" Nancy whispered as Winona reached for her gun.

"Just the wind," Jonathan whispered back noticing the expression on Nancy's face, "Don't worry, Mum says the lights turn on when he comes,"

Winona stood up walking up and down a small strip on the floor. She huffed impatient, if the Monster was going to come did it have to take its time. What if it knew it was a trap? What if it killed them all? She liked to think she had a long life in front of her. She sighed rubbing her hand, forgetting about the twinge of pain it received. There was knocking at the door and they all jumped looking towards it. "I'll give it to the monster, it's a gentleman,"

"Jonathan, are you there man? It's Steve," the voice called out as Nancy and Jonathan exchanged a glance. Winona was too busy being impressed at her skills in advice. "Listen I just want to talk," he continued to bang on the door as Nancy got up to answer the door. Winona would have but she figured she'd meddled enough. Winona sat back down on the couch with Jonathan as Nancy spoke to Steve.

The muffled voices grew and Steve ran into the room. He looked at the stuff and backed away slightly, "What the hells going on here?"

"Steve, you need to leave," Jonathan said pushing him back. "What no!" Steve began and the two began arguing. Winona sighed shutting one of her bullets at the ceiling. It let out a loud bang and they all stopped to look at her, standing there with a small piece of the ceiling on her shoulder. "I didn't think that through, a pay you back," she quickly whispered to Jonathan, "Listen Stevo, we all admired your moral compass right now but could leave till Monday?" She nodded and Nancy who raised her gun.