SEVEN

SEVEN

Her blonde hair was tightly tied in a pony tail in the back of her head. Her long hair swayed behind her as she walked alongside of Hemera. Rowan was Hemera's champion, fighting for the goddess of daylight. A goddess who was brighter than the smile Rowan wore, which was very bright. Rowan had always been the type of girl who could light up room just by a small grin, for her smile was infectious. It was part of who she was; but along with that, she was always underestimated.

Back in high school, Rowan was battling for her spot at the top of the class. The only problem? Her competition came in the form of sexist asshole Xavier. He instilled in everyone's minds that since Rowan was a girl, she was inferior. She didn't know why they all ate up his bullshit like cake, but they did. So, Rowan became the girl with a pretty smile who would never amount to anything. Unfortunately, everyone in her school seemed to still be living in the 1950s, meaning that since Rowan was a girl, she could never be anything more than a pretty face.

Oh, if they saw her now. If they saw the smug smirk that took her lips captive, if they saw her walking alongside one of the most powerful women in the entire world. They wouldn't be laughing if they knew that she was fighting for her chance at immortality. No one would even consider snickering if they knew she was hand chosen by a goddess to compete in a rigorous competition. This was so much more challenging than any debate. 

Quite frankly, Rowan had always known she was worth more than what everyone said, and now was her time to prove it. Sure, no one from school would know that she was fighting for a goddess, but she had a sense of pride internally. She felt a sense of giddiness knowing that none of her rivals would ever have an opportunity like this. If she won this tournament, she would be far more than just successful.

Most people would be overwhelmed by everything that Rowan had been through these past few days. She went through a mental trial that she nearly died in, then she was brought forth to Zeus and eleven other historic gods, and then found out that she was going to be mentored by Hemera. 

Through the corner of her eye, Rowan surveyed the goddess beside her. Hemera, in one word, was breathtaking. That was an understatement in regards to her beauty and intelligence. Hemera was everything that Rowan strived to be. 

Much to Rowan's delight, today was the day that Hemera would begin training her. From what Rowan had gathered, today was the day that Hemera would teach Rowan to hone in on the power source they both share. The entire night, something new seemed to pulse inside of Rowan. A fierce power that wanted release, one that was for her to control. It took everything in Rowan's power not to try and access it, trying to remain still throughout the night. She knew that Hemera would show her how to use it when the time was right, and she had to trust in that.

Hemera remained stoic as ever, a sweet smile painted on her lips as Rowan fought to bounce around on the balls of her feet. Rowan couldn't help but be excited, considering that this was what she had always wanted. Something to prove that she was just more than a pretty face, and now that opportunity was thrust upon her. She was grasping at it with fever, desperate to claim the winner's spot in this competition. There was no way in hell she would allow anyone to beat her. 

"Excited there?" Hemera murmured, her lip curling up. Rowan glanced over at the goddess, her cheeks flushing a light pink when she noticed Hemera's stare on her. Rowan wanted to smack herself, soon beginning to scold herself. She shouldn't be acting like an excited school girl, like this was just the night before prom. This was her chance to being something more than just a regular girl - to become someone who was more than mortal. Someone who had such a strong will that death could no longer touch them. It seemed that Hemera could read Rowan's thoughts perfectly, adding, "Don't be embarrassed, Rowan. No matter whether you win or not, this competition will change the entire course of your life. It's a defining moment with more glory than you can begin to imagine."