Chapter Three

"Master!" Lucy exclaimed, as she and the rest of the girls burst into his office. "We have something to tell you!"

"Is it about Kinana?" Makarov asked, looking up from a communications lacrima perched on his desk. "I just heard from her."

"She's with Cobra, isn't she?" Levy asked, hoping their theory was correct. They hadn't expected Kinana to contact the guild.

"Yes. She said not to come after her, but quite frankly I'm still concerned about these unusual circumstances," he said with a deep frown. "She'd never take off like this, even for a tryst."

"We think we've figured something out that may explain it," Lucy said, opening Anna's book. "We think the dragon slayers may be experiencing a mating season like actual dragons used to. We think Cobra took her to be with her."

"That is..troubling information, Lucy" Makarov spoke, playing with his mustache. "That means Natsu and the others will act up too."

"Everyone but Wendy," Cana confirmed.

The Master breathed a sigh of relief. "I would have hated to explain that to the poor child. Though that doesn't help much, we still have to deal with the others."

"What should we do about Kinana, Master?" Juvia asked, wringing her hands together.

"She said not to go after her? Do you think he made her say that?" Cana asked.

"After hearing about what you girls found, I think it's highly probable he did. She didn't seem injured on the screen though," he said thoughtfully, still not quite sure what to do with the information dumped on his lap. "We should probably contain Natsu, Gajeel and Laxus for the time being, and send a group to retrieve Kinana."

"They don't seem to be very aggressive yet, so I'm sure it won't be that hard," Lucy said. "I just hope they understand why they'll need to be locked away for a week."

Makarov nodded. "Mira and I will be here to ensure they don't fight their way out, as will Gray and Juvia. Lucy and Cana, you can go along with Erza and Wendy to retrieve Kinana."

"Excuse me, Master Makarov?" Yukino asked from the back of the group shyly. "May Kagura and I go with them?"

"If you wish to. I'm not your master, and I cannot tell you what to do. However, I do wonder if you're needed to contain Sting and Rogue at Sabertooth?" Makarov replied.

"I think Lady Minerva would be more useful than I probably would be," she said, looking at her fingers.

"That's nonsense, child, but it is your choice. Now, everyone should prepare for their tasks. Will you please send the dragon slayers in? And Levy? Please look into a way of cutting this short."

"Yes, Master," Levy said, taking Anna's book that Lucy held out to her as they exited the office.

"Please be careful with it, Levy," Lucy said, not wanting to let her ancestor's work go. "I think I want to see if the library will let me buy it."

"Of course, Lu, I won't let anything happen to it," Levy smirked. "Ya never know, maybe one day you'll be the foremost authority on dragon slayers."

"Or perhaps you," Lucy teased back. "You probably will be after all your research."

"Maybe," Levy replied, her smirk falling to a frown. "Though I do worry that there is no alternative to ending the season."

"We gotta find something!" Lucy said, trying to stay optimistic. Natsu walked up to her and raised an eyebrow.

"Find what, Luce?"

"Uhh...well, something on Kinana," Lucy said nervously. I have to go with Erza, Cana and Wendy to find her."

"What? I wanna help!" Natsu pouted, balling his fist in his palm.

"Actually, about that, Master needs to see you, Gajeel and Laxus in his office," Lucy said, feeling guilty.

"For what?" Gajeel barked, suddenly standing next to Levy.

"He has something he needs to talk to you about," Levy said defensively. "We didn't exactly ask."

"Peh. Fine, shorty. I'll find ya later," Gajeel said, joining Laxus in heading to the master's office.

Levy frowned heavily. Lucy met her gaze and gave a tiny smile, as Natsu sniffed slightly.

"Say, that book you got smells kinda weird, Levy," Natsu said, walking behind Lucy, as if trying to avoid the smell.

"It's old," Levy said with a shrug, heading away.

"Natsu, what are you doing?" Lucy asked incredulously, as she heard him sniff again, still behind her.

"I was getting rid of the smell of the book," he said. "Your shampoo was strong enough to block it out."

"Just go see Master!"

"Alright alright..."

Lucy didn't even have time to sigh, as Cana, Erza, Wendy, Yukino and Kagura were all ready to leave.

"I understand we have to locate Kinana," Erza said, all business. "Hopefully, Wendy's sense of smell should be able to guide us there."

"Ehehe, I'll try my best," Wendy said, not quite sure what was happening. "Though, why are we fighting Cobra?"

"It's hard to explain," Cana said, slightly amused. "But if you want, we can talk about it the whole way there and answer any questions you have."

"Cana, no!"