Chapter Four

"So what's the deal here, Gramps?" Laxus asked, his arms crossed. He'd noticed his grandfather seemed slightly uneasy, and was sure he wouldn't like where this was going.

"The girls have discovered something after doing some research," Makarov began. "They noticed that all of you were acting strangely and discovered why."

"I'm not acting strange!" Natsu insisted.

"Regardless, this matter is serious, and I expect you to treat it as such," Makarov stated, sighing deeply.

"Yeah, so what is it?" Gajeel asked, as frustrated as the others.

"The girls discovered that much like actual dragons, dragon slayers experience a mating season about every 20 years. They've concluded that's likely what's occurring," the Master explained, much to the shock of the other three.

"How is that even possible?" Laxus demanded, stunned.

"I imagine the dragon magic particles alter the body in some way," he replied. "Anyway, apparently this happens to make dragon slayers more aggressive in trying to obtain the object of their affections, and for this reason, I've decided it's in the best interests of everyone to temporarily contain you, until it's over."

"What? But I feel fine, I swear!" Natsu insisted.

"I understand, but I'm sure it will only continue to develop, and I doubt you want to hurt anyone," Makarov said, frowning at the guilt.

"...He's right," Gajeel said finally after thinking for a moment. He sighed wistfully, envisioning Levy's face. He didn't want to hurt her ever again.

"Eh. Whatever..." Laxus muttered, yielding but not thrilled about it.

"Good, follow me," the master said, hopping down from his chair. "We need to make you a comfortable as possible."

-

Lucy trudged along with the rest of her group, following Wendy as she tried to track Kinana.

"Do you think we should've contacted Crime Sorciere?" Yukino asked. "Maybe they're looking for Cobra?"

"Perhaps we'll run into them," Erza said, sounding hopeful. "We could use the help."

"You think Cobra will be difficult to apprehend?" Kagura asked, lifting a brow. "Between us, surely this we're a sufficient group."

"We read that dragon slayers become more aggressive and protective towards the person they want. This may give him an extra edge," Lucy suggested. "I just hope she's ok."

"Well, Master said she seemed unharmed and asked for us not to follow her. Now that may be Cobra telling her what to do, but the book Levy found said that they smell really good and that helps make them seem irresistible. Also, it's mating season, so he's probably only got one thing on the mind, so they're probably just screwing," Cana said, thinking out loud. Everyone stared at her.

"Everyone's thinking it," Cana defended, shrugging unapologetically. "You can't tell me you aren't. Or that you aren't curious."

"I wasn't thinking that..." Wendy mumbled with a blush.

"She has a point," Kagura said, nodding. "It would be naive to rule it out."

"We have to at least make sure Kinana is ok with it," Erza said with finality, after considering Cana's point. "We cannot abandon her if she may be in trouble."

"I just hope she isn't," Lucy said worriedly. Cana smirked.

"So you hope she's having the time of her life then?"

"That's not what I meant, Cana," Lucy grumbled, holding her face in her hands.

Yukino looked up at the sky that was now dark and starry. "We should probably stop and make camp for the night. We'll be no use to Kinana if we don't rest."

"Agreed, let's stop here for the night," Kagura spoke, pointing to a clearing slightly off the trail they were following.

"Alright everyone, lets set up camp!" Erza chimed in, trying to regain control. "We'll be up early tomorrow."

Lucy sighed as she moved to set up a tent, and silently she hoped that Natsu was ok, and that he wouldn't be mad for not telling him about the season.