Chapter Six: A Shocking Escape

My body seared with pain, and I had bitten through my lip to keep from crying out. I didn't utter a word or sound, but tears flowed just the same. I could feel the bitter feel of them as they streamed down my cheeks despite how I tried to hold them back. I arched with pain, trying so desperately not to succumb to their wishes of brainwashing or death. I couldn't figure out which, what with the concussion and electricity coursing through my veins, but I knew either prospect wasn't a pleasing one.

I remember the machine turning off, my restraints being undone by that so called Moran, and I had instantly crumpled to the ground, unmoving but still seeing and thinking.

"How did she survive that?" he murmured, his hand resting on the back of my head. I couldn't do anything to protest it as he rolled me to my side, a hand waving in front of my face. "However she did it, Sir; it wasn't done well. I don't think she's in there anymore."

"I can retrain her," 'James Moriarty' dismissed simply. "Her memories may be gone, but that brilliant mind of hers is still there, and I can use that. Come."

With that, I watched my two torturers depart, leaving my cage door wide open. I smiled slightly to myself at that, and I had already formed my escape plan as I slipped into an exhaustion-induced sleep.

When I awoke next, I ignored the stinging protests of my limbs and throbbing agony of my mind as I numbly got to my feet, clutching at my head as if that would stop the pain.

I didn't say a word or make a single noise as I made my (hopefully quiet) way back down that ramp and to freedom. I caught a glimpse of the sky on my way, and I was extraordinarily glad to find it to be around midnight. No one out there would be walking.

I had just made it to floor 2C when I heard voices, but my ears were ringing so I couldn't properly make them out. I simply scurried into the first room I found (a storage closet) and hid myself the best I could.

I tried to still my breath, but I knew it wouldn't last long what with all the injuries I had sustained, and I was right. The second I had inhaled, the door opened. I instinctively moved further away, knowing who was there, but upon opening my eyes, I didn't see any weapon being pointed at me.

Moriarty was kneeling in front of me, concern clear in his features. I knew it was all an act, though. He thought my mind was wiped. He thought I wasn't in there any more. "Oh, you poor thing. Come here."

Deciding to play along, I crawled to him, inwardly disgusted as I was eased to my feet by him, and I was held close.

"You don't remember me, do you? That was quite a nasty fall you had there."

I shook my head for good measure.

"I'm your father, Dear," he said with fake-sympathy, and I tried not to shudder as I felt his chin rest on the top of my head. "And I promise I won't let anything harm you."

He was leading me back up to my prison, I realized, and I couldn't find a way for escape except that opened window. So I took it.

I pushed him away from me and ran to that spot, jumping onto the ledge. Breaking the glass, I turned to face him and shouted with a grin, "Not this time, Moriarty. I'll meet you another time, but right now, I've got bigger fish to fry."

With that, I stepped off.

I landed on an awning below, grateful that the cloth hadn't ripped at my force of it. I scrambled off of that hurriedly and broke off running in the direction of what I prayed was Baker Street, knowing it was just a matter of time until Moriarty was after me again.

I don't remember how long I ran, but daylight was just breaking as I staggered into the doorway of 221B and hammered away at the door.

"Oh, can't it wait, Lestrade-?" John Watson stopped short as he opened the door and found me instead. His expression instantly turned from anger and annoyance to a mixture of relief and concern. "Aurora, where have you been? Aurora? Aurora, what's happened?"

I didn't have time to answer him, because in that moment, I fell head first into unconsciousness.