Chapter 4 -Friends or foe

Already 100 reads thanks so much, guys. love you all.

School; if anyone told me I would be angry hearing that word, I would have been in doubt. I love going to school. Moreover, this was senior year and I have been looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, on a school day, I was still in bed wishing Drey's return was all nightmare that would disappear soon. Maybe when I get to school today he won't be there.

With that thought on my mind. I stood up to take my bath. I brushed my teeth, then put on my uniform. I wasn't feeling a bit excited about going to school.

I dragged my feet to the dining room, surprised to see my dad at home. Something was fishy. Dad was not the homie type. Maybe he decided to spend some time with us today. I kneel down to greet him a good morning.

I sat down quietly eating my meal. When I heard my dad's voice.

"Susannah, how is school?" Was he really asking because he cared or what? I looked at my mum, she was awfully quiet.

"Fine sir," I replied, continued chewing my meal.

"I have something to discuss with you when you get back from school". Really, now he has something to discuss. Something was sure fishy. Sussy doesn't be like that, he just might really care.

" Okay". I stood up, saying goodbye to mum and dad as I walked out of the house.

Getting to school I was attacked by a hug from Tina. She dragged me to where the rest of the groups were seated. I wasn't surprised to see Drey. I guess he already felt comfortable making himself part of the group.

Assembly was over in a swift, so was the periods before the break. I was already getting used to Drey as my partner.

During lunch, I was bothered about my dad. What could he what talk about? It really was strange he has something to talk about. Also, why was mum so quiet. All this I kept asking myself not noticing Drey talking to me. I was cut off from my trains of thought when someone touched my thigh.

I looked down only to see Drey's hand on my thigh. Angry I pushed his hand away. But, he was not angry.

"Bae, am sorry. I didn't mean to make you angry" he said. His voice low I almost thought he must be truly sorry.

What if it was just part of his plans to get closer to me.

"Whatever," I replied totally ignoring him.

He really was making effort for me to notice him. Maybe I should just forgive him. No, why should I after all he had done to me? I was having an inner battle within me whether to forgive or not forgive. Alas! I leave the answer to some other time.

Tina came closer to me, making Drey stand up from his seat.

"Sussy," I can feel the concern in the way she pronounced my name. "What is wrong with you. You barely touched your meal."

I looked down at my plate observing that she was right. I was busy thinking about dad and not eating. I smiled forcefully at her.

"I just don't have the appetite. I'm not feeling hungry". I lied. I could felt Drey's eyes on me but I continued to ignore him as I hold Tina's hand.

The school was fast today. Maybe because I had a lot on my mind. I really hate suspense, I wish dad didn't tell me we had something to discuss. Then my mind would have been at ease.

I don't know what I did this time around to have really offended him.

Getting home, I dropped my bag on the couch surprised to see dad, mum and a strange girl almost my age. Just that being a bit taller and dark in complexion than her.

I looked at my mum and dad after greeting them. What was it with the serious face. Are they quarrelling? Also while is that girl in our house?

"Sit down Susannah. I have something to discuss with you". He already said that in the morning, does he have to repeat it.

I sat down without saying anything.

"This is Maria," he said pointing at the strange girl. So, what if she is Maria, what's my business with her name. I kept staring at my dad without saying anything. Is her name what he wanted to discuss with me.

"She is your sister" he continued looking directly at me. Immediately I stood up from the chair. What! My sister. Where did she come from? Who the heck was she?

"My- my what?" I stammered as I asked my dad not believing my ears.

"I will explain, Susannah, sit down".

I sat down immediately waiting for him to explain all this. I looked at my mum to see if she was surprised but she wasn't. I guess she already knows. It was kept secret to only me.

"You see," he said while using his hand to wipe his trousers. I sense he was nervous. "Her mother died yesterday. As my daughter I can't leave her to be living alone in the apartment I rented for them so I decided to bring her home."

All that he was saying was gibberish to my ears. I looked at my mum again. Her head bows down.

"Mum, do you know about this," I said pointing to the girl.

"My dear, don't think about it. I already forgive your dad. You just have to do the same". No! No way am forgiving him. Why does everyone keep betraying me? Even dad was betraying me then. The girl must be almost the same age as me. Dad kept her secret for years.

I heard footsteps approaching me, as the girl, Maria or what did dad call her. I don't care stands in front of me. Her hand stretch forth to shake me. She then whispered in my ears "friends or foe".

Like I want to be any with her. I shouted and running away from my house as far as my legs can. I can hear my dad and mum shouting my name. I don't care I kept on running.

Until I ran into someone who held me tight.

Thanks so much for reading my book.

So now she just suddenly has a step sister out of the blues

If it were you, how would you have react?
Who could have held her tight?
Thanks for the love you show towards me by reading this book. Don't forget to vote, comment and share.

Love you all.