v

Chapter Five

It had been two days since Diana had last gone out, since she had met Spider-Man, and she's more anxious now than she ever was. While she hadn't achieved the goals that she wished she had, she wonders if she's even ready to do that sort of thing, vigilantism, and if she ever will be ready.

Now that she's looking back on it, it hadn't been that disastrous. She'll admit that perhaps fighting—if she could even call it that—in any form was not her thing. Sneak attacks and surprises maybe, but nothing with her fists. But, in theory, improving the charges would only aid her in her street endeavors, along with any other gadgets that she might happen to come across within the next few instances. She isn't ready but she will be.

Nick Martin still hasn't been turned into the police—she's not sure if she has anything to turn him in for. Her mother's bruises are nearly gone, and even then, it might already be too late to file a report, let alone one that the police might believe. That only leaves two options.

Diana could wait around on her ass until Martin strikes again or she could makes sure that he gets turned in, leaving only one small chink in her plan. No one would believe her as Diana Bradley if she had no sustainable evidence. As a vigilante, however . . .

Only, nobody knows who the hell she really is in the mask; she's unheard of and has stopped no crimes at all, therefore making her an unreliable source, just a wannabe teenage running around in a mask. Not to mention that waltzing up to the police station and telling them herself may result in getting herself arrested.

There's only one option, really.

She's going to need to ask Spider-Man for a favor.

---

The door to the coffee shop swings open the next afternoon with a quiet ding, prompting Diana to sit up from her stool in front of the cash register. She sighs softly, plastering a strained grin onto her face even as she's focused on the counter in front of her. "Hi, how can I help you?"

"Hey, Di!"

Diana freezes, the smile falling off of her face as she takes notice of who is standing in front of her. Peter Parker stands in front of her, his backpack slung over his right shoulder. He's smiling at her brightly and despite the fact that he now knows where she works, which could be a good thing or a bad thing, she gives him a soft smile.

"Hey, Parker," Diana says, moving closer to the counter. "Anything you need?"

Peter falters, taking a small step back as he begins to observe the menu above her head. He scratches the back of his head and then gestures to the little pastries on display. "Uh, well I was really only planning to stop bye and say hi, but I guess I could take one of those little doughnuts."

With a laugh, Diana moves to wrap up a doughnut in a napkin and hands it to him. He takes it gratefully and shuffles around in his pocket for money. "How much is it?"

"Two dollars," she answers lightly. He hands her a five with a small grin.

"Keep the change," he says happily as she's reaching for change. She raises an eyebrow. "I've always wanted to say that."

She rolls her eyes and laughs softly, reaching over to put the money into the appropriate slot and then putting the extra three dollars into her tip jar. "Thanks, Parker."

"No problem," he chirps, finishing off his doughnut with one bite. "What time do you get off tomorrow?"

"Work?" At his nod, she shakes her head. "Not until eight tomorrow. Why? Did you wanna do something?"