Chapter 6

*Updated, 2024*

Hello babes! What do you like on your burger? Do you even like burgers? I love burgers. Comment, let me know. :')

-----------

Ten minutes had passed when we pulled up into the parking lot. I opened the car door, muttering my thanks under my breath. Just as I was about to step up onto the curb, the window rolled down behind me.

"Hope you get laid tonight, Jub!" Sam coos out. I blanched, whipping my head to look at her incredulously.

"Let us know if you guys want any company." Dylan leaned forward then, his hand resting on my best friend's bare thigh as he looked at me. Arrogance rolled from him as he gave a sly wink.

I stood there shocked, and embarrassed – and I wanted to murder them.

I glared instead, clutching at my purse – before a casual, heavy arm was laid around my shoulders. The scent of vanilla and spice engulfed my senses.

"Will do – but don't get hopeful," Tom murmured, his breath brushing against the side of my head – as he gazed at my antagonizers. "I've never been good at sharing."

And at that moment, I wanted to die.

Sam gasped loudly, her eyes lighting up as she held a dramatic hand over her mouth. After her wave of shock vanished, she busted out laughing – pointing a polished finger at us.

"Ooooh I like him," She chuckled, shaking her finger. "I like you Todd. Keep that shit up."

Dylan, on the other hand, held a slightly tighter grip on my best friend's thigh – and not one word came from him as he watched us turn around.

"It's Tom," I called back, not helping the situation.

"Oh, I know." She laughed again, before rolling the window up.

As they pulled away out of the parking lot – Tom dropped his arm from my shoulders and raised a brow.

"It's like their life goal to embarrass the living shit out of me," I muttered. Following him up the sidewalk, leading to the fast food joint.

"It looks like it," He replied, "You know, I could have just picked you up-right? Could have saved yourself the embarrassment." He opened the door for us then, letting me walk through first.

"I'm letting Sam have her fill –  have her think I was actually going on a date, even as friends, rather than tell her what this is truly about."

He nodded silently, a slow smile coming over him.

"What a shitty date this would have been, getting all dressed up to go chow down on some burgers." He laughed, "You look nice, by the way, not your usual brooding self."

I cast a knowing glare over my shoulder at him, "I had to bargain with Sam." I sighed, finding a booth in the corner of the restaurant. "In exchange for a ride, I gave her the reins on my outfit." I slid into the booth, "-because according to her, you were about to get Cookie Monster's understudy."

He gave another dark laugh, before sliding in after me. We sat close enough to one other to be able to whisper to each other the details of the job – but far enough to where it would be questionable whether we were just friends or not.

"So, what's the dealio with this job?" I asked, cutting straight to it as I gazed over the menu. Tom leaned in, gazing at his menu as he began.

"There's a wealthy businessman who goes by the name of S.J." He breathed, glancing up to see our waitress approaching.