Is This Real Life?

I screamed as I jumped up in bed, the shock of the crash still going through me. I was still breathing heavily as I felt that I was lying in my own bed. My pillow was wet of sweat and so was my hair. Thank god, it was just a dream. It had felt so real.

I tried to steady my breath and put my hand on my forehead. My skin felt greasy and wet under my touch. I was slowly coming back to reality as I took in my room. My walls were dark pink and a friend of my dance group had painted a ballerina on my biggest wall. But not in a childish way, the ballerina was painted incredibly realistic.

Clothes and other stuff were scattered over the floor and desk because I never had time to clean. All these familiarities made me realize that everything was normal again.

As soon as my lungs had gotten back to a steady breathing pattern, I turned around and looked at my alarm that was standing on my silver night stand. I raised my eyebrow as I saw that the time was changing incredibly fast. Within a few seconds the time had changed from 6pm to 6am.

I slammed my hand on top of the alarm, figuring it must've been broken. But the alarm didn't went back to a normal pace, so I hit it again. And again. And again. But it kept going crazy. I stepped out of my bed and walked over to the plug to pull it out. I figured that if I pulled it out and then put it back in, it would be fixed.

I squatted down at the point where the plug connected with the wall and pulled it out. The disturbing thing was, that the alarm was still going crazy.

I let out a squeal and backed away from the thing, like it could explode any minute. I backed up until my back hit the windowsill. I screamed again, being overly sensitive from the last shock I had.

I turned around and looked out of the window. The sky was doing the exact same thing as my alarm was doing. It went from a morning sky, to an afternoon sun and then a dark night sky incredibly fast. It looked like the days were flying by. My head started spinning. This wasn't supposed to happen in real life, right?

My breathing started to speed up again. This couldn't be real. I must've been dreaming. Was this a dream inside a dream? Did I have one of those weird lucid dreams? Was this what that felt like?

But how would I wake up again? What did I have to do?

The flickering lights of the outside sky changing went even faster and I started to see green spots in my vision from all the flashes. The alarm went two times as fast too and was shortly followed up by a high beeping tone. I could see the flickering of outside on my once so familiar walls and the beeping started speeding up too. At first it had sounded like a some sort of monitor, but the faster the lights started flickering, the more it started to sound like one long beep.

I couldn't look and listen anywhere without being blinded and deafened. I slit down the wall with my hands pressed against my ears. I used all the force in my body to shut my eyes as tight as I could, but the light still shone through my eyelids. I screamed out, not knowing what else to do, but it couldn't be heard over the loud beeping sound.

"Audrey, are you okay?" I heard a female say. The noise and the flickering lights had stopped as soon as she had spoken up.

I slowly lowered my hands from my ears and carefully opened my eyes, still a bit afraid it would come back. I looked up and saw Lilly kneeling down in front of me, looking at me with worry in her eyes. I was still sitting in the same position, but I wasn't in my room anymore. I was in the dance studio. The familiar room had white walls, except for the one that was covered in a big mirror and the one that basically consisted of glass. The floor was made of a sand-colored wood.