seven ▼ a beautiful veiw

A few days earlier, Tony had contacted General Irwin, the man Juliet had met at the military base, to request a sample of the chrysalis. The General had been willing but it had taken time for him to cut through all the red tape involved.

"So you wanted a souvenir of the magical memories we made at the base?" Juliet asked nodding to the garnet tinged rock in Tony's palm. "Or is there another reason you asked for this?"

"If we can analyze this it may help us figure out what's happening."

Tony led the way to the lab. "Look alive, Jarvis. It's play time."

"What can I do for you, sir?"

The engineer laid the fractured piece of chrysalis on one of the work tables. "Give me everything you can on this. Composition, origin, all of it. And cross reference the data with known experiments."

Several holographic screens appeared in the air, popping into existence as Jarvis analyzed the sample.

"It appears that the chrysalis is a response to a microscopic organism. It seems to be a virus though it matches nothing in documented science." The system fell silent for a moment until an image of a woman appeared along with a logo that read 'FuturePharm' in bonded letters.

"Oh, boy."

"What? Who is she?" Juliet asked as Tony sighed and ran a hand over his face.

"She was the head scientist with a group called FuturePharm. They were a branch of Stark Industries years ago but the plug was pulled when the program was deemed too risky. There also may have been a...night shared-"

Juliet waved her hands. "No, no, no. I do not need to hear about nights shared. Get to the part where you tell me what FuturePharm was making."

"They called it extremis. It was created with good intentions. Organ regrowth and immunity to all illnesses were on the horizon. It could have changed medical science as we know it, but it was far too weaponizeable."

"Did they ever make it to human subjects?"

"Not back then, but judging by the ray of sunshine we met at the base someone did," he said. "Jarvis, can you find any known address or employers for Maya Hansen?"

"Actually, sir, Miss Hansen passed away earlier this year."

"What was the cause?" Juliet asked. Maya looked young and healthy in her picture.

"The cause of death is unknown. She was visiting China when she disappeared. She was never found."

Tony pursed his lips. Other than the small act, his features didn't reveal what was going through his mind.

"Well," Juliet left her seat on the stool. She could ask him about it later. "If you can get me a microscope I'll look at the virus and try to find out more about it. In that time maybe you can look into who reopened extremis experimentation."

The corner of Tony's lips turned up. "Anything else, dear?"

The nurse played with the hem of her blouse as she thought. "I'll need slides, stained and immersion oil."

"And you're sure you can do this?"

"I was top of my microbiology class in college. And you're welcome. I'm so glad I could help you."

"What other secret talents do you have?" Tony waved his hand and all of the floating images disappeared.

"Sarcasm, mostly." She adjusted her glasses on her nose. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go call my mother."

The view of the ocean from the tall living room window was Juliet's favorite part of Tony's mansion. When she could, she liked to watch the evening sun dip below the water with a warm mug of hot chocolate in hand. In the beginning of her stay she had bought the powder packets, but after a while it seemed that Tony had taken notice and began keeping it stocked.

She leaned her arms against the back of the couch and watched the sun sink in the pink and orange sky. Her thoughts wandered and ultimately landed on her job. Constant was her worry of whether she was making a difference in Tony's well being.

Everyday she was with him it became more personal. She ached for him and the weight he carried on his shoulders every hour, waking and sleeping. Tony wasn't a project, he was someone she cared for and wanted to help. She only hoped that she could in the end.

"Mind if I join you?" Tony's voice said from behind her.

Twisting to face him, she nodded. "Of course." Juliet shifted over to leave him a space on the sofa. Sipping her steaming drink, the two settled into a comfortable silence.

Curling her fingers tighter around her mug, the nurse willed herself to ignore the question itching her conscience. But she couldn't, she needed to know.

"Tony?"

"Yeah, Jules?"

"Am I...am I helping you? I mean, have you felt better since I've been here?" She stumbled over her words, unsure of how to voice her worries.

A grin flashed across his face as he turned his attention from the window to her. "I haven't had a lot of constants in my life. I had my mother, I had Pepper and I have the suits. And you, you've given me another constant in my  always shifting world. Even if it's only been a short time, it has helped."

A wave of relief washed over Juliet. She was making difference.

"Actually, I have something for you."

Surprised, Juliet's brow creased. "You didn't have to, Tony."

"Oh, hush. You'll like it." Tony pulled a black box from his jacket pocket. He opened it and turned it to face her.

Inside was a beautiful bracelet. The band was a silver circle crowned with a pale red stone. Reaching out to trace it with her fingertip, Juliet marveled at the gift.

"I wanted to thank you for all you've done." He removed the band from it's box, which he sat aside on the sofa cushion, and gestured for her to giver him her wrist. She did, allowing him to clip the bracelet into place above her hand.

Lost in admiration, Juliet said in silence. "You're welcome," Tony whispered, nudging her shoulder lightly.

"It's beautiful!" Juliet didn't remember giving her limbs consent to do so, but in the next moment she was reaching across the couch to pull him into a hug. After a moment of surprise he wrapped his arms around her as well.

"You really didn't have to, but I'm not mad that you did."

The two pulled away from each other. The sun had vanished below the horizon, leaving the city under a blanket of darkness. A wave of exhaustion washed over her and she stood, intent on going to her room for the night.

"Good night," she said. She paused at the foot of the stairs to look at him once more. "And, Tony, did you want to talk about Maya? Learning of her death that way must have been hard."

He shook his head. "Maya was part of my past. I need to focus on the future."