eleven ▼ a celebration

Five years of wearing the Iron Man suit was cause for celebration. Unfortunately Tony and Juliet had two very different ideas of what a celebration entailed.

The nurse was more than willing to attend the party for Tony; he had earned a thanks from the people and if he wanted that thanks in the form of loud music and intoxicated guests, she wouldn't be the one to persuade him against it. When Pepper got involved, however, Tony's ideas were thrown out of a tenth story window and replaced with tasteful table settings and invitations to governments officials. Juliet couldn't deny her relief. She had never been one for crowded parties. She preferred her familiar couch at home and a pair of fuzzy socks that went up to her knees; Pepper's version of the anniversary wasn't exactly a movie marathon, but at least it was calmer.

The celebration was to be held at the Avengers Tower. There was a strict dress code, which didn't make Tony happy, but he won a small victory when Pepper announced there would be an open bar.

Most of the clothing Juliet owned was laughably casual compared to what Pepper wore even on a daily basis. She had one dress that managed scrape the level of formality the party called for and it had been hanging in the back of her closet for a very long time. She wasn't even sure it would fit anymore.

Thankfully on the night of the party when Juliet got ready for the evening, the dress fit just as well as she could hope for. She curled her hair, letting the ringlets fall around her shoulders and frame her face. Tall black heels she hadn't touched in months resurfaced from the depths of her shoe collection to match the red fabric of her dress.

The room the party was being held in was absolutely gorgeous; the space was lit with a warm, comfortable light and elegant gold decorations. It didn't seem to represent Tony as a person in any shape or form, but Juliet found it stunning all the same. People in military uniforms donned with medals of all colors and women in beautiful dresses stood at the raised tables and milled around, stopping to socialize with one another.

"Good evening, Miss Ward."

Juliet looked to find Tony standing in front of her. He wore a deep black suit and a charcoal grey tie. A bright smile lit his face.

"You combed your hair," she observed with a teasing grin. "You should try it more often."

"Ha ha," Tony smirked and offered her his arm.

She took it and allowed him to lead her deeper into the room. They stopped at the bar, talking and sipping drinks, until Pepper waved Tony over to where she was talking to a very dignified looking elderly man.

"I better go over there. Pepper might ground me and take away my dessert privileges if I don't."

He went after she assured him that she'd be alright. The nurse stayed by the bar, lost in her thoughts as she gazed around the room. It felt liberating to be away from the lab, free of the constant knowledge that the ultimate purpose of the return of the extremis virus was still unknown.

"Hey, sweetheart. What's a pretty girl like you doing all alone?"

Juliet glanced sideways down the bar. A man not much older than her stood with his arms leaning against the counter top. Her mind seemed to stop all functions, not sure how to handle such an approach.

"I-I'm just...drinking," she managed, holding up her glass of water with a faint attempt at a smile.

"How about taking a walk with me instead?"

Without noticing her eyes drifted to where Tony stood across the room, talking to some important person or another. His back was turned to her.