POPULAR: chapter thirteen (The Offer)

Chapter Thirteen

The Offer

That afternoon, as I updated my Matchmaker files, Hilary called.

   “Hi Honey,” Hilary said.

   “Hi Hills, what’s up?

   “I need to talk to you, now. I’m so excited.”

   “Okay, tell me everything…”

   “Not on the phone...”

   “Oh, of course, come over for a swim. Daddy’s at work and the only person who might disturb us is my mutant neighbor but Ethan’s been distracted lately…”

   “Okay, see you soon.”

   Hilary arrived on her bike. She only lives a few streets away. I didn’t overly approve of her riding because the sooner a girl gets her own motor, the better to promote her as a socially independent entity, but since we don’t even drive yet, that can wait until next year. At least biking is good for toning your upper thighs. I made a note of Hilary’s predicament on her file: Under the heading Roadworthy, I wrote ‘encourage Hills to learn to drive.’  

   One of the things I love so much about making friends and taking on new matchmaking projects is that I learn so much. Of course, initially my subjects are supposed to learn from me but it’s so much better when I also learn from them.

   Hilary was excited when I answered the door, practically jumping out of her skin.

   “Guess what?”

   “What?”

   “I got invited to pre-prom… I mean, the vampire ball… Dance Fangdango.”

   “Really?”

    My plan had worked fast.

   “Yes.”

    Almost too fast.

   “Oh wow,” I said to Hilary, tentatively. I didn’t realize Flynn was so… ready. “Tell me everything. How did he do it?”

   “Well, we’d been smiling a lot at each other in the halls…”

   “I’ve noticed.”

   “And then at lunch, in the cafeteria…”

   “Yup, noticed that too…”

   “And then, we got talking when we both had to do that joint project…”

   Instigated by me, I thought proudly.

   “And well, he suggested we meet up at the library to study…”

   Hang on, libraries weren’t Flynn’s style…

   “And well, he told me he’d had feelings for me since last year.”

   “Feelings? That’s awesome!” Then it occurred to me, “Flynn only just arrived in school at the start of the semester…”

   “Oh, it’s not Flynn, Honey. It’s Rafe. Rafe Martin. We met at a television and comic convention before I came here…”

  The maths nerd? I was aghast but tried to control my shock.

   “Yes. That’s why I need your advice. You’re so smart Honey. Here. Read the note he left in my locker.” I picked up the crumpled note with my finger and thumb.

   “It’s so genuine and sweet, don’t you think?”

   “Mmm… it’s been written on a napkin,” I said disapprovingly, feigning surprise.