POPULAR: chapter seventeen (Bachelors and Bachelorettes)

Chapter Seventeen

Bachelors and Bachelorettes

We arrived early at Dance Fangdango and the School Auditorium was lit up with lights.  The theme of the prom was Vampires & Princesses, I’m not sure where we got that from but the boys voted for vampires and our committee voted for princesses, so the theme was a compromise. Perhaps that’s how all the best decisions are made. I’m not saying we should always compromise but sometimes we should. Like, if women ran the world, they’d be okay with compromising and there wouldn’t be any war. At least, I don’t think there would be.

   Flynn arrived with a girl on each arm, dressed as Dracula. Hilary was dressed as Ariel (from the Little Mermaid) and I went as Kate Middleton (in her shimmery blue engagement dress – it’s a very sophisticated look). The other real Princesses, well, they just came as themselves (an option we’d also had) and you couldn’t blame them. You might as well use your clique name while you have one. I’m with Oscar Wilde on social stuff. For example, Oscar Wilde was all, never knock society, only peeps who can’t get into it do that. That’s how I feel about the Princesses. Peeps who aren’t invited, well, they get a little snarky about us.

   Sometimes I think Ethan is a snob without realizing it. Just look at his initial reaction to my newest friend. Let’s face it, his house and family are the most famous and notable (and rich) in the whole district – even richer than mine. So I guess he hasn’t got much to be humble about. Oh, except Ethan is just a little bit withdrawn socially. For example, he re-iterated that he didn’t dance but was tagging along just to, “laugh at high school drama queens (like me) and enjoy the atmosphere.”  

   There were hundreds of tiny lights decorating the auditorium; a roof of stars covering a roomful of teenage dreams. The walls were draped in dark curtains framing a scene lit to emulate Dracula’s castle.  

    Ethan took a handful of food from the plates shaped like hands and walked over to the gaming area to play pool with some of his nerdy friends.

    As the dance got going, music played, lights twinkled, food was spread ready on trestle tables and the photo booths were rarely vacant. The disco balls were lighting the place like fireworks and the school auditorium looked like a vampire’s eighteenth century castle by the time the rest of our group arrived. The auditorium was stunning and tons of peeps congratulated me and Hills and the Princessses and the School Social Committee.

    It’s hard to believe the committees were really mean when they were in school but Phoebe told me they were. Mrs Teegan, Tory, Brook and Freya founded The Princess Society. It is kind of ironic they all got married at eighteen and became teen moms. This allowed them to simultaneously ‘look down upon’ their unmarried ‘sisters’ but Phoebe said (apart from their usual cattiness) they totally shone in their new roles as moms.

    Anyway, they always make a point of being nice to me because my mom is always in New York and rarely does school socials, so I have to put in the effort of two peeps, but that’s okay.

     Some teachers are hovering in the corner chatting to my art teacher, Ms Dash. Ms Dash is one of my toughest cases. I’m not sure what to do with her. She’s liked Mr Henry, our computer science teacher for years and neither of them are getting any younger since his divorce. I’ve tried everything. I texted myself about Ms Dash every day and realized I’d have to work harder and use a better plan to get them together.

    Ms Dash really is the nicest teacher ever and instead of being jealous of the Princesses she always encourages us to rise to our true potential. The only problem with Ms Dash is that she tends to tell the same story more than twice and has an unfortunate habit of laughing whenever she’s nervous.