From a Dream to a Nightmare

This was one of the longest and most storming nights of my whole life. I was laying on the coach, with a big jacket covering me, lost in a deep sleep. My mother was on the table, four steps away from me, finishing her job under the light of a candle. The storm took down half of the city, and the only sources of light we had, were the candles and the lightnings. My mom didn't give a damn. She would finish the so called " homework " in that night. Didn't matter if she had to skip her job next day. It had to be done that night.

Three minutes passed since the last thunder, and when she thought she would finally get some peace, she heard the door knocking. I snapped out of whatever I was dreaming and realized I had fell asleep, again, on the living room. I glanced at my mother and she asked " Who could it be? It's 3 in the morning. " then she stood up, told me to stay and went to the door.

Whoever it was, he was totally freaked out , as he was yelling desperately to open. My mother took a bunch of keys to unlock the door. She started yelling back to the man, but he kept knocking without worrying about how noisy he was.

My mother opened the door and there was the man. He had his hood on , covered in blood, and had a gun on his hand. Her heart fell to her feet , and she didn't know what to do.

" Let me in. " the man said. " You let me in RIGHT NOW! " he pointed the gun to my mother's head and she held his arm. The guy aggressively grabbed her neck as she tried to yell. I was as scared as anyone would be, I couldn't do anything. She was suffocating, trying to get the guy to drop her, and , in unidentifiable words, she looked at me and told me to run. The guy hadn't noticed I was there, until I blew out the candles. He saw me and tried to shoot me as I ran all over the living room. The darkness took over the house and I hid myself under the table. He pushed my mother to the wall and started punching her. I was too scared to move. I was horrified just by hearing her skull getting crashed against the wall. I stood there in fright, listening to her voice, begging for her life.

I crawled to the kitchen to get a knife, my mother kept yelling, telling me to escape through the back door. She was crying, moaning in pain and despair, supplicating to the man to leave the house. He ignored and walked to the kitchen, leaving her on the floor. It was darker than any other place in the house. I tried to hold my breath as he passed through me, with the blood draining from his hand , and when he least expected, I stabbed him on his leg and leaved him in the kitchen, shouting in pain. I went back to the living room to help my mother, who was unconscious. I started calling for help, in hope to awake the neighborhood as I was desperately trying to drag her outside. The fear got me perplexed, making it harder to find the exit in all the darkness surrounding us.

Wild lightnings fell from the sky, leaving the house completely alight. It was at that moment I saw his face. He looked at me in the eyes with the most evil desires. The lights went out, leaving the house in total darkness, again. I heard his steps coming toward us. He had the knife and was going to kill us. At certain point, I reached my limit and couldn't move anymore. The idea that we were going to survive , died at the very moment I looked at his eyes. All I heard from then was his heavy breath, getting closer and closer. I closed my eyes and started praying.

It took me some time to realized that, my mother was no longer unconscious. She punched the guy and made him tumble back. The guy shouted in pain, my mother grabbed my arm and stood me up. There was blood everywhere. And when the lightnings came down one last time, I was able to look at her. She wanted me to leave and never come back to this house. She wanted me to know how much she loves me, then she pushed me with all she could and told me to run away. The last thing I saw was the gun she had on her head, the guy was roughly holding her hair. She was crying in silence and had no more strength to fight. She closed her eyes and waited the man to pull the trigger.

The last bullet was loud enough to bring up the neighborhood. I saw my mother's corpse falling on the ground, then escaped from the house. I could barely stand up and felt the world falling apart. I fell on the mud and stayed down, crying. The house, soon got surrounded by the people, and then by the police.
My mother died that night. The man was put in jail. But I promised myself I would never let that happen to anyone else.