Prologue

The water moved. It did not shift nor shimmer; it moved. It silently tickled along the wall as if harbouring its own mind and soul. It silently transitioned from the base of the bricks, to the blades of dead grass that yearned for a drink. My gaze followed the water as if it were a snake slithering its way through grass. The water found its way to the tip of my shoe.

"Friend."

Goose bumps ran up and down my body when I heard the muffled noise. It sounded like a small splash, almost like a rock falling into a shallow pond. Just a simple worded plonk.

Chills rippled along my body as the muffled noise filled the silence. It was like hearing a small splash from afar, as if a rock had stumbled into a shallow pond; a simple worded plonk.

But that's impossible? My heart started racing.

I'm going crazy and delusional. That is my conclusion, I'm simply imagining the sound of water talking to me. Yep, because water does not do that. Water is a lifeless mass that has no emotion, and so it can move by itself and speak?

Ha, no.

How did this feel real? The moonlight shifted along its surface, and the soft evening breeze shuffled through the grass that surrounded it. I wouldn't be able to imagine that kind of detail, could I? Without hesitation, I pinched my skin. But nothing changed, the water was still moving.

This was really happening.

The feeling of cold water covered my entire body, interrupting any thought. I froze, watching the cool water cover me as if it were a suit of armour.

This couldn't be possible! I shook my head, jaw hanging in shock.

In an instant it jumped off me, turning into a bubble like form on the grass. A complete reflection of a fifteen-year-old girl. I gulped as a small smile started tugging at my lips.

"Awesome aye!" Avon could barely contain his excitement, shifting his weight constantly while a toothy grin plastered his face. His blonde hair appeared grey in the night, the wind gently pushing it to the side as if it too were celebrating with him. If this weren't so crazy, I would've joined him.

"It's...impossible," I gulped, beyond bewitched. He chuckled before walking behind the water, his shape disjointed through the liquid. I couldn't help but notice the excited glint in his blue eyes; in a way, it made me jealous.

Even then, the excited glint that shone in his blue eyes sparked a little jealousy.

Flashing a signature smile, he opened the mettle bottle that hung on his belt. Like it was nothing Avon clicked his fingers and the water returned to its home, leaving no evidence of what just happened.

I chuckled. I was watching my best friend control water, moving it along walls, the grass and then just command it back into his water bottle! And to see  pride and bewilderment glow from him was truly outstanding.

"H-how long have you been able to do this?" I asked taking a step towards him, eyeing the bottle. He shrugged, placing his hands into his pockets. No matter what he wore, he would always look like too small for his clothes.

"It took me a while to figure out that it was me- you know accidentally setting off fountains- and then I dropped my the good ol' drink bottle here and the water just started mo- well, you know," he replied, his gaze low as he gripped the bottle tightly. "Learning how to control it took about a...week maybe."

He looked up with a sheepish grin. "The feeling I got when I touched the water was-is...incredible," He continued, "it's like this connection...it was just... You know?" He paused, seeing I didn't understand.