Chapter 1

I watched as dead grass whizzed pass me, leaving it to be just a blur.

"Your purpose is to kill." Those spine chilling words continued to play through my mind, the only thing I could hear in my head. No clear thoughts, just those five words. It was killing me on the inside!

"You'll be the best student," Dad said, sounding more like an order than a statement. I couldn't wrap my head around the fact he was actually excited about me going. I don't want to be the best student; in fact I don't even want to be a goddamn student!

In the past day I have had to learn that I am now going to kill people. Oh sorry, elementals. "'Cause they aren't human", I get that, I'm not a human either but that doesn't make me bad! In the next three years I am forced to learn how to control my abilities and make become stronger all while learning about people who can only manipulate one element. This is all bullcrap.

I gave him a weak smile, trying my best to stop myself from screaming. He beamed back at me before looking back on the dirt road, his eyes glowing from the rays of the setting sun.

I rolled down the window hoping to get the smell of fresh air; instead I ended up gagging at the smell of animal blood. I quickly rolled the window up, gasping for better smelling air. It was the mixture of human and animal blood. I looked at dad, petrified. Is he sending me to my doom?

I swallowed hard as I looked out the window trying to find any living thing in the dead grass. There was just blood, dead grass and a complete wasteland. "Where are we?" I asked starting to feel my heart rate pick up.

If the people who lived here were trying to scare people away, they did a very good job. I looked at my father who was humming a tune merrily. He was stressing me out. My own father is dropping me off at a place that I have never been before. Which sticks of blood and has no sign of life anywhere.

"Daddy?" I asked still looking at him. "Yes?" He answered keeping his eyes on the road. "Where are we going?" I asked once again. He didn't answer. I felt like screaming. No, I felt like forcing the car to stop and running in the opposite direction.

We turned right going further into hell. The dirt road started to get more bloodstains and the stench became stronger. My heart and breath became faster. Dad took a left and soon we saw a large Victorian cottage that was well looked after. In less than a minute dad drove on cream collared paved driveway. The smell of blood was overpowering.

Dad got out the car, still humming merrily and took my suitcase out the boot. Slowly, I opened the door holding my breath so I didn't have to smell the blood. The air was humid and hot making me seat after a few seconds. This wasn't the normal weather I could tell. This heat and humidity was forced.

"Abigail!" Dad hissed. I hurried over to him grabbing my suitcase. "Have fun," Dad wished me luck and in what felt like half a second he left. The only evidence was the tyre marks on the road. I took a deep breath -ignoring the taste of blood- and walked towards the door.

I stared at the grey doorbell. I have to be dreaming. I'm having a nightmare where nothing is hazy or shiny. Oh God. Dad left me here to die. He dropped me off at this place that smells like death. Not only that, but he says I will be the best student? Really, I'm going to die here.

Accepting the truth I pressed the button. The door opened, revealing a tall man. I could say he looks like a lot of things but all I could see when I say him was death. He was the human reaper. I swallowed hard. "Ahh you must be the newbie!" He opened his arms like he was asking for a hug. I took a step back. He smells like blood and so does his breath. He frowned, "Abigail is it?" I nodded slowly.

He stood to the side, "Butch, now come in." Watching him carefully I walked inside, to my relief the smell of outside left and all I could smell was fresh air. I dropped my suitcase and took in the new taste of fresh air as it entered my lungs. "All my students do that," Butch said coldly. He pushed me forward. I told my legs to work as I followed Butch through this amazing house.

"I live hear with my wife. You live outside with your classmates," His voice was cold. "You don't do as you're told and your next three years here will be absolute hell. I promise you that much. Do what you are told and you life here will be bearable," A cold laugh exited his lips.

"As far as you are concerned I hate you and you hate me," He said opening the door welcoming the stench of blood again. I mentally sighed. I continued to follow Butch as we walked through short dead grass. I could feel the little water that was metres in the earth. No wonder the grass is dead. The water can't touch the roots.

"Follow the rules and we'll get along fine," Butch finished as he pushed me into a large shed. I fell to my knees as the door shut behind me. The laugh was so cold. He isn't the reaper he is hell's human brother. I maneuvered myself onto my butt so I could wipe away the small amount of blood that was already coming from my knees.

I looked around. Grey concrete; four plain double beds and steel walls. What in this room that doesn't shout 'Prison'? I got up slowly walking towards a bed that displayed folded linen. I starred at the blank sheets for a bit before shrugging and making my bed. They were thin, probably because it's summer. Hopefully in winter we get to have thick sheets. In the short time I've known Butch, I would say it's very unlikely.

After making my bed I lay on it lying on my side. Watching a small spider in the corner making it's web. What would it be like as a small spider? The world would be so much bigger. You wouldn't have to worry about anything but survival and you could wait for a fly to fall into your web and get caught.

That would be the only thing you would really worry about is food and shelter. No need for special abilities boy dramas just food and a home. The spider finished its last string before heading to the middle awaiting its unsuspecting prey. With a sigh I turned on my back welcoming the dullness of the bed on top of me. "This is going to be the worst three years of my life," I whispered.