CHAPTER 2

Disclaimer: I do not own anything from The Hunger Games trilogy all rights go to Suzanne Collins. I do however own Quinn and her story.

Quinn was pulled out of the storm that brewed in her mind by the arrival of her styling team. It took every ounce of self-control that she possessed to refrain from stabbing them in the eyes with the very tweezers that they plucked her with. Rei, Trinity and Arlo were used to the girl's icy blue stares and silent threats, they had witnessed first-hand the transformation that their victor went through; from the innocent naïve little girl who was all sunshine and smiles to the independent, strong, young woman who had learned that the route to self-preservation was behind a tall and impenetrable wall. Arlo, who had been particularly close to the girl before she shut him out, knew that the little girl who had existed before the games was still in there somewhere even if she was buried alive in a deep trench of ice and snow.

The stylists had decided to represent the hydroelectric power that District 5 produced through the hues of blues and gold so after Quinn was sufficiently waxed, scrubbed and bleached, Rei began her makeup. As much as it pained her to admit it, Quinn rather liked the look – it made her look powerful. Her lips were painted a neutral beige, her blue eyes were framed with darkened eyelashes and lined black and underneath them were thick blue strips that extended from her hairline to the outside edge of her eye sockets. Once Rei was satisfied, the victor was passed onto Trinity who pinned her fringe to the top of her head and braided small pieces of hair at either side, letting them loop round to behind her delicate ears. Both sides of her hair were then French

plaited and pinned at the back of her head; the rest of her blonde waves were left to fall over her shoulders with the odd braid at the front. Quinn grew tired of being prodded at, her expression said as much and she grew even more irritated when the pair in front of her squealed in delight at her appearance. At least someone is happy.

Growling in annoyance, she stood up and made her way to Arlo who had made her outfit for her. He was much gentler with the impatient tribute and soon he turned her around to face her reflection in the floor-length mirror. Quinn raised her eyebrows in surprise, District 5 were known for their god awful costumes at the tributes' parade but this one was beautiful; from the long bohemian skirt that resembled waves in whispers of white and blue and the blue bralet to the golden high heeled sandals with lightning bolts up the centre and the gold lightning bolt belt, earrings and bracelet. She smiled just enough for her stylist to see and it was genuine unlike her signature smirk.

----

Quinn stood beside her chariot as she absentmindedly played with the mane of one of the horses. Griffin was trying to make friends with some of the other victors but she had no interest it that. She wouldn't get close, even if she wanted to. Her district partner was nice enough but he tried too hard and that annoyed her; they were about to be thrown into an arena and expected to kill each other so she didn't understand the need to make friends first. Quinn wasn't about to sit and share life stories over a cup of tea with a group of people who were plotting her death. Yes, she had people who she'd rather not eliminate, like Johanna, but she wouldn't allow herself to rule it out. She couldn't – everyone she had ever cared about died and the more time she spent in the Capitol with the woman, the more she wanted to call her a friend and that title alone would train a sniper to her head. She had angered too many powerful people, namely Snow, so she could no longer afford to play happy families with anyone. She couldn't afford to waste another life. Quinn wasn't sure why she always had to be so disobedient, there were things she hadn't done due to promises she had made but most of the time she refused to cooperate because it wasn't in her nature.