Prologue: The Search for Holmes

" He is dying. He has a year left, tops. "

" Well... Then we must hurry. He is the only one who can teach another. We need a new Holmes. "

Poppy Kelly bit her finger nail and looked at the white marble floor. She knew that Noah Holmes would soon be dead. She tapped her foot and let out a frustrated sigh.

" Have them search. I want every corner of London checked for any boy or girl, man or woman, that has the potential to be the next Holmes. " Poppy said turning to her two secretaries. They nodded and disappeared into the rooms beyond the white hallway outside the Holmes room.

The door creaked open, the head of Daniel peaking out. Daniel was Poppy's twin brother, he was a caretaker for Noah Holmes.

" Poppy... He wants to see you... "

Poppy took a deep breath, straighted her blue jacket, and ran a hand over her brown hair that was pulled into a perfect bun. Once she felt presentable she stepped through the open door.

" Po-poppy... " The rough and quite voice of Noah James Kelly Holmes came from the bed.

" Father. " She smiled slightly.

" Come here child. My eyesight is not what it used to be. " He attempted a laugh but it just turned into a cough.

She bit her lip, not caring about her raspberry colored lipstick. She sighed and walked up to the bed. She smiled and stood next to Daniel. Noah Holmes smiled, as well as he could without any teeth.

" Father... Where are your teeth? " Poppy asked looking to Daniel.

" Oh! I hate those nasty things! Let me be happy as I... As I... "

" You don't have to say it. " Daniel spoke up.

"Die. Dead. Death. They are just words, child! " Noah snapped.

Poppy shook her head and looked at her blue heels. Noah was always snippy when he didn't feel well. Now... Well at a time like that...

" Poppy... Have they started? They must hurry. We don't have very much time... "

" They are searching. There is a whole team, every single spot in London. We will do it as many times as necessary. " She smiled and ran her hand across his blanket to remove the wrinkles.

" Good... " He sighed.

Poppy smiled and shifted her weight between her feet awkwardly. She hated the silence that always filled this room specifically. Luckily the silence was broken by the door opening.

" Mr. Kelly Holmes? You have a client. "

Noah Holmes sighed and sat up as well as he could, with Daniel's assistance. Noah waved his old fragile hand, dismissing Poppy and Daniel. Mainly Poppy, she may have been in charge of the Sherlock Mansion but Daniel was the elected Watson. He stayed and helped as much as he could with the cases. He also recorded them, each getting a space in the library.

Poppy left the room, her heels clicked against the marble. She turned the corner and smiled politely at the passing young woman. Assumed to be the client spoken of in the Holmes Room.

Poppy's smile dropped as soon as she passed. Her main concern now was to find the next Holmes, and hopefully quite soon.