(2)The Newly Crowned

The sound of a thousand bellows could be heard, men grunting in combat as they trained and practiced battle drills, tales of the others hung like a dark cloud over the men, an inhuman foe, whose goal was not conquest, neither servitude, if half of the tales were to be believed, then the end of human race on westeros was coming to an end.

He had fought against them, even killed one, would they be able to grasp the true threat of the others, or were they still interested in petty politics, he didn't trust lord baelish, though the help he received from him and the knights of the vale was crucial, otherwise he wouldn't be here staring at the golden rays of the rising morning sun.

'Your majesty, the noble houses are assembled, they await only your presence' trasik said, bowing his head in obesciance.
Conditioning his mind, he began the slow ascent towards the great Hall.

The hall fell silent when he arrived, all manner of eyes focused on him. Moving steadily to the raised dais only the sound of his feet could be heard. He could see Lord  baelish lounging in a corner with sly eyes monitoring his progress.

'All hail  the king in the North' the Herald cried.

A cacophony of Lords and subjects rose up from their seats on ear deafening response.

Mounting the dais, he faced them.

'Before us, we face a great foe' he started

'of whose origins we know nothing, but of his deadly abilities we are assured of. He is not interested in making us his servants, he comes at the moment of our greatest weakness, Kings have risen and fell, but yet more strive to take their place, eyes ever placed on the iron throne. But the avalanche is coming for us first'

He paused.

Crying out at the top of his voice he said.

"Do we still have friends, who care for our survival"

He was met with a wall of stony faces, faces showing a dawning realisation. It Was good, he thought

"let them know we will be hit first"

"For over a thousand  years, we have kept the boundaries between the known world and the unknown, the wildlings and the civilised. We have held true to our vows, our purpose, our duty. The time comes when we will be sorely tested, the time circumstances will tempt us to flee, to abandon the home of our ancestors.

"Aye, I did it, I slept with a wildling disobeying my vows. I shielded the wildling, brought them into Castle black. I did it  for they are human, with first hand knowledge of our foe. Though their ways differ from us and their lack of Kings strike us as barbaric, yet they are human"

Pausing to catch his breath he continued.

"I have seen the night king, I have grasped only little of the powers he possesses, and  I can assure you that nowhere in his cold mind is our  survival a possibility, his armies are the dead and they follow his commands like lifeless beasts. But he doesn't understand one essential thing"

Planting his two feet apart with is valerian sword held highly above his head, he cried out.

"we are the men of the North, forged in the bitter winds of winter, we are firm, we do not break, we know no fear, save for the survival  of our young ones.

"I call you brothers!, for I shall fight at your side, I will give no man a task I can't perform.

"Brothers, who shall fight with me" he shouted.

There was a sudden silence, he looked down to see faces betraying equal shades of fear  and bravery. Moments stilled, faces blurred. Then as one, swords banged on shields, butts  of spear banged on the floor. Noises reflecting brave men reached a fever pitch. And it was said "never in the history of the men of the North was there a greater pride in the heart of men.