Chapter 27

She’d lied to her husband. Emmie stared at the cabin where she’d been told she’d find Mr. Filbert Thistledown, and a guilty shiver trembled down her spine. She’d lied to Noah about where she was going this morning after Mr. Thistledown’s infamous visit, and the sad part of it was that she would do so again. Furthermore, she’d lied to Cookie as well, though she really felt no guilt for that falsehood. After all, the crusty old cook would probably applaud her actions once he found out about them. But not so with Noah. She’d told them both she’d be with the other; a classic subterfuge. And that was why Emmaline felt guilty.

After a hefty breakfast of pancakes, berries, a slab of bacon, and Noah’s never-ending cup of coffee, Emmie had begun packing up the baby buggy Muriel had loaned her, as well as dressing Rebecca. Noah had studied everything she’d done with watchful eyes, though he’d acted tolerant enough of her desire to go talk to Cookie about going back to work. They’d come to an unspoken accord to agree to disagree; Noah had signed away his right to a lawsuit against Emmie’s wishes, but she couldn’t stay angry with her husband. Not when he remained bedridden and remorseful. She understood his need to maintain some control over their future; she just didn’t agree with how he’d chosen to do it. So Emmie had come up with today’s plan, which entailed lying to her husband. Hopefully he would be as forgiving as she had been.

Glancing down into the baby buggy now, Emmie spared a genuine smile for her daughter, and squared her shoulders in preparation for today’s imminent altercation. Last night, after she and Noah had made up quite thoroughly, which had been tricky considering his injury but oh so satisfying, Emmie had formulated today’s plan; had even crept out of bed after Noah fell asleep to write down what she planned to say this morning in the presence of the illustrious Mr. Filbert Thistledown.

Try as she might yesterday, Emmie hadn’t been able to resign herself to accept The Company’s stance on non-payment of injured employees, regardless of Noah’s spur-of-the-moment decision. She hadn’t been able to sleep. Noah was an integral part of the logging community, and therefore should have been treated as such. Instead they’d pretty much shoved him aside with the half-hearted promise of a job upon his return. And he’d accepted their terms! How ridiculous was that? So when the thought of how she could help get him what he deserved slithered into her head in the wee hours of the morning, Emmaline had gone with it, writing her words down by the light of a single candle. Only after she’d poured out her thoughts was she able to slide back under the covers to get some much needed sleep.

And now the moment was at hand; the words she’d written were about to be spoken, never to be taken back after this morning. Her stomach tightened at what she was about to do; her palms began to sweat even as she started to push the baby buggy on down the trail toward the cabin, and the unsuspecting Mr. Thistledown. Never since her discovery of her pregnancy had a decision meant so much, and Emmie knew exactly what was at stake: her marriage, and their future together.

                                                                     ##

She’d left. She’d helped him out to the outhouse, made him breakfast, and kissed him lingeringly upon the lips before taking off with Rebecca to set up a work schedule with Cookie while allowing Noah some time to rest. Only Noah couldn’t rest with all the second thoughts crowding his mind. No matter how solicitous and forgiving she acted, Noah knew Emmie was disappointed in him. And that rankled because he still believed he’d done right yesterday by acquiescing to The Company’s dictates. He couldn’t see giving up his job; not when he had a daughter, a wife, and plans for the future in this town. And all of those plans hinged on steady pay. He’d just have to heal faster…