Chapter 14: Things Changed

Keaton’s POV:

(yes keaton still exists lol)

“And then Breezie made me turn it off because she said it was killing my brain cells.” I finished, explaining to Les that all I’ve done today is watch Adventure Time with Zuni. We were both sitting on the couch in my basement while Wes was playing Brooke a song on his guitar. It was nice hanging out just the four of us, I wish we did it more often. Except Lijh should be here too...weird I didn’t know where he was.

“You’re such a dork.” Leslie laughed. Ugh my favorite thing about Les is when her eyes got bright and glittery when she laughed. I kind of loved knowing I was the one to make them shine like that.

“I am nottttt,” I moaned back, rolling over on the couch to lay my head in her lap. “I just have no one to hang out with.” I scrunched up my face, looking up at her.

“Opposite of true. You have me, remember?” Les flicked my nose with her fingers while smiling down at me.

“I guess I forgot, I haven’t seen you in like two days.” I muttered back, only half joking. I hadn’t seen Les since the bonfire and since then I don’t know what she’s been doing. I knew with the whole Drew and Tiffani breakup things must be stressful for her but she normally tells me everything. And the fact that I hadn’t hung out with her in a while kind of hurt.

“I’m sorry Keats,” She whispered softly, instantly making me feel bad for being hard on her. “You’re still my number one.” She added with a grin.

“Yay!” I smiled, immediately wanting to change the mood back to happy again. “So what were you doing with Wes today?” I asked, sitting up and nudging her shoulder.

“Just hanging out.” She smiled with a shrug. I watched as her cheeks slowly tinted pink as her eyes glanced over at Wesley. Was she blushing or was I just being stupid?

“Just hanging out? Okay Les, okay.” I shook my head trying not to let it get to me. She didn’t have to go into details, if she wanted to tell me how she was feeling she would. 

“Oh my God, Drew was there too okay?” She replied, smiling a little when I raised my eyebrows at her. “I’ll tell you about it later. Boys suck Keats.” 

She rolled her eyes and leaned her head on my shoulder. My heart started beating faster as I remembered what happened the last time we were in this position. In Leslie’s basement, watching a movie. Then there was crying, then there was kissing....okay Keaton stop. I shook my head, not wanting to remember anything past that. That was a long time ago, I bet Les didn’t even remember. It probably didn’t mean anything to her either. 

“Hey what’s up with Lijah?” I asked, changing the subject again to clear my head. “I told him to come over but he didn’t respond.” I added, tilting my head to look at Les. 

“He uh, I think he’s probably just busy.” Leslie stuttered as she lifted her head off my shoulder. My body felt colder in the absence of her touch, and I instantly wanted it back. Wait what the heck that sounds so creepy. But true? 

“Now that you mentioned it, I probably should get going.” She said with a sigh, getting up off the couch.

“What? You’ve only been here for like an hour!” I protested, grabbing her hand in attempt to pull her back on the couch. 

“I know but I was supposed to be home a long time ago and my mom’s going to kill me,” Leslie rambled, letting go of my hand. “I wish I could stay longer though, really.” She smiled. But her eyes weren’t glistening anymore.