ankle

Two days later and I returned to the laundromat with my step-dad's laundry and an overwhelming desire to wear a mask because of the possibility of seeing Andrew again. It wasn't even the fact that I had been humiliated (although that certainly did play a part in it), but it was more so that I didn't know what to say next.

Last time our conversations had been fairly easy to keep up (they had to be considering the circumstances) and it seemed like my mind would be blank this time and I'd probably end up saying something ridiculous.

After my awesome (note the sarcasm) retort to his comment about the sock-boner I had, my phone rang and there was my step-dad, screaming through the radio waves at me and telling me that I needed to come home right away to help him with something.

As soon as I had pulled into the driveway, I regretted it. Not only was he slightly (okay, more than slightly) intoxicated (which wasn't new for him), but he was also taking the tall, rounded vase I kept hidden in my room and holding it above his head, ready to throw it on the ground. The next hour included me coaxing him gently to put it down and me ordering pizza as a "reward" of him calming down. While he ate, I replaced the vase in its spot in my closet and made a mental note of being sure to lock my door when I leave for school the next day.

Because of that, mine and Andrew's conversation had been cut a little short, and although I was terrified of what would ensue this day at the laundromat, I had no choice but to go there anyway. My step-dad had yet to even acknowledge the fact that our washer and dryer in our garage hadn't turned on for months. Six-months, to be exact.

Throwing my step-dad's clothes into the washer and tossing in some cheap detergent, I looked around at all the people in the laundromat. Most of them were older, probably parents, and looked tired. I've only had to worry about coming here for six months and I dread coming here twice a week, so I couldn't imagine how all these people feel, probably having to come here for years for whatever reason. I'm just glad that Andrew isn't here so I don't have to stress myself out about doing some embarrassing.

The bell at the front of the building dings as someone walks in, and I close the washer door and look up curiously.

Speak of the Devil.

Andrew sees me and waves, making his way to where I stand. I lean back, sitting in on the uncomfortable plastic chairs the laundromat provides, sending a small wave back to Andrew as he sits next to me with his bag of dirty clothes.

"So, did you end up finding your sock? The search was quite riveting, I was sad to have left," My voice had a mind of its own, talking in an obviously over dramatic, sarcastic way and clasping my hands together like a kid would when begging for candy. He rolled his eyes jokingly and started putting his laundry in the washer next to mine as he told the exciting tale of his missing sock.

"I know, it was a pretty wild ride. But have no fear, Dear Wednesday, the ankle sock was found only minutes after you so rudely left," The way he said my name made my head spin, probably considering that he was the only person who had ever called me Wednesday instead of just Nessie. People usually just figured it was too weird and would much rather use a nickname.

"It's unfortunate I had to miss such an adventure. However, you wear ankle socks? Really? I pegged you for more of a thigh-high and garters type guy," My words were dripping with sarcasm, and I had no idea where this banter was coming from. Usually, I would have left the conversation at socks, but I suppose I had other subconscious ideas today. He slammed the washer shut and put his hands up in defense, whispering loudly.

"I have some dignity! That's only my weekend attire," I laughed at his explanation and nodded.

"Makes sense," We then sat next to each other in silence, him reading a book he had basically pulled out of nowhere and me people watching.

One of my favorite things to do while waiting for my laundry was to watch the people looking through the missing sock bin and try to figure out what type of socks they would pull out and claim as theirs. I had this idea that the socks people wore said a lot about the type of person they were, and it was a game my step-dad and I played the very first time we came to the laundromat together. It stuck with me, and now it was almost automatic for me to place bets in my head.

A big white man walked in with tattoos covering every inch of skin showing (including his completely bald head) and wearing a torn up wife-beater with stains that I couldn't even begin to wonder how they got there covering it. His basketball shorts were hanging low on his body (like, really low) and I got an eyeful of crack as he walked past Andrew and I. Andrew's eyes widened when this happened and he turned to face me.

He mouthed the word "wow" and went back to his book, chuckling softly. Nudging him on the shoulder, I used my chin to point to where he was walking.

Right to the missing sock bin.

I had never even told people about the game I played when I sat all alone in the gross laundromat, and I'm not entirely sure why I had the idea to tell Andrew in the first place. Nonetheless, the idea was certainly there.

Andrew looked at me with his eyebrows raised, closing his book.

"Yeah, what about it? I already saw far too much of that man for today, Wens." Wens? I thought. That's a new one.

"Oh trust me, I have too," I smiled knowingly and turned to be facing Andrew head-on. "Wanna play a game?"

--

wahts this?? another update?? YEAH IT IS. 

ok honestly im just gonna leave this here, probably update again tomorrow (im so exhausted from typing) and yah.

ALSO im making sure each of these chapters (THE STORY NOT THESE AUTHORS NOTES DO NOT FRET) is AT LEAST 1000 words long because i figured then i can just type 10 chapters by the 31st and be GOOD for the wattys because then i'll have pretty much EXACTLY 10,000 words for the STORY so yippee kayay (how do you spell that) (i looked it up its ki-yay hm learn something new everyday)

also im sure youve noticed but each chapter is named after a type of socks so awee how cute just so creative lol okay bye enjoy -magi