(1) Beginning

Mikasa Ackerman hefted her boxes and other personal belongings, her muscles flexing as she carried them. Her attire included a sleeveless black shirt, a red scarf, and some running shorts
She entered her dorm room and put down her things.
She wiped sweat off her forehead with her forearm.
It appeared her roommate had already settled in.
There wasn't much to the decor, simple grey sheets were on the bed, a single picture of two tall boys and a short girl, the latter of which Mikasa assumed was her roommate. There were no other pictures. There was a poster for a band called "Dispatch". A small pile of books in a small bookshelf. A closet was open, clothes partially hung and more clothes overflowing from two duffel bags on the floor of the closet.
She looked at the picture, scrutinizing the girl between the two boys.
She was blonde, had ice blue eyes and sported a cream colored hoodie.
"Knock, knock." A bored voice said from behind Mikasa.
There was her roommate, looking almost exactly the same as she did in the photo: eyes that resembled ice, an old cream colored hoodie, jeans, blonde hair tied back in a bun.
"You must be my roommate," she held out a hand. "I'm Annie Leonhardt."
"Mikasa Ackerman," the young Asian replied, shaking Annie's hand. She felt cold metal on one of Annie's fingers. It was what seemed to be an iron ring on her index finger.
Her eyes were cold, no trace of emotion.
"Would you like some help with unpacking?" She asked.
"Yes, that'd be nice-" Annie cut her off, she stuck her head out the door.
"Hitch, come here!" She yelled.
A girl with curly light brown hair and golden brown eyes entered. "My roommate here needs her stuff set up, I set my shit up, I'm done setting things up." With this Annie left.
Within an hour and a half Hitch and Mikasa had set Mikasa's things up.
"Thank you." Mikasa said, shaking Hitch's hand.
"No problem." Hitch said with a smile. "I hope you and Annie get along, she is a little difficult, but-"
The blonde had returned before Hitch could finish her sentence.
"Your help isn't required anymore, see you around." She told Hitch, who seemed taken aback, but left all the same.
Annie's eyes shifted around and she looked her new roommate up and down, taking in her full appearance. "What's with the ratty scarf?" It sounded like a sneer.
"My brother gave it to me." Mikasa replied coldly, gripping it tightly.
The blonde made a 'tsk'ing noise.
"Something wrong with that?" She stood practically face to face with Annie.
"Nothing, it's just ratty." There was definitely a sneering tone in her voice.
Mikasa muttered something under her breath like 'can't believe I got an ice woman as my roommate...'
"Mind repeating that?" Annie snapped.
Mikasa turned away, not responding.
"Alright, be like that!" The blonde said, she walked out of the room.
"What a bitch." Mikasa huffed, laying down on her bed.
"Goddamn ass." Annie muttered mutinously as she stalked down the hall.
The orientation day went smoothly as long as Mikasa and Annie weren't talking or within a twenty foot radius of each other.
Mikasa found a group of people that she could be friendly with, a girl named Sasha Braus and her best friend Connie Springer, she had known them from high school, Ymir, Krista Lenz, Hitch Dreyse, and Rico Brzenska.
"What classes are you taking Mikasa?" Hitch asked as they sat down at lunch.
"Well, I figured I'd learn to be a PE teacher. So mostly I'll be taking physical fitness relating classes." She replied.
"I see," Hitch said, placing her lunch tray down. "That sounds like fun, I think Annie might be thinking along the same... Lines..." She had noticed Mikasa's hands gripped into tight fists and her voice trailed off.
"Fantastic," Mikasa grumbled.
Later that day, when the students had gotten through their first day, Mikasa lay in her bed, in her dorm, staring at the ceiling.
A concerned voice in her mind, one that spoke in the voice of her best friend, Armin Arlert, was rambling on about something, stirring up worry.
She glanced at Annie's bed.
Empty.
The clock read 9:05 PM.
"Hmph. Why should I care?" Mikasa asked aloud. "She's her own person, and I don't give a damn."
She opened a book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Armin had pressed the entire set of seven books into her hands before she had left for college.
By the time she had closed the book, she had gotten over a hundred and fifty pages in, it was 11:22 PM.
Mikasa decided sleep was the best option and therefore slipped under the covers and curled up in an attempt to fall asleep.
She was surprised to fall asleep quickly, into a dream in which she was explaining to a tall man in a police uniform that Annie hadn't returned to her dorm room for quite some time, Harry Potter, Armin and Eren floated in and out, suggesting where to look, though nothing helped. She dreamt that she then had to go all the way in an alleyway, two cities over to find her roommate, drunk or high, either way she acted loopy.
"Son of a bitch," she groaned. Her eyes opened.
Her clock read 3:24 AM.
As her eyes adjusted to the dark, she could see a dark shape in Annie's bed facing away from her, she assumed it was Annie. There was a strand of blonde hair sticking out from under the blanket so tightly wrapped around her.
I wonder where she was... Mikasa's thoughts became sluggish as sleep called to her. I'll ask her... Later...
The next thing she knew, she was asleep.