Chapter 10: Angel's Family

Klaus has set up a dinner table is set up in the courtyard to celebrate his return to leadership over New Orleans and his repossession of the Abattoir compound from Marcel. The vampire army, including Marcel and his closest friends, are seated around the table, and Klaus and Coney are seated at each end, and Coney has her knees pulled up to her chest. Klaus calls for everyone's attention to give a speech by tapping his glass with his fork. "Let us begin with a toast to our shared gift: immortality. After a thousand years, one might expect life to be less keenly felt, for its beauties and its sorrows do diminish with time. But, as vampires, we feel more deeply than humans could possibly imagine," Klaus says. He gestures toward a group of waiters and waitresses to have them join them at the table, one for each guest, except for Coney. "Insatiable need, exquisite pain..." The servants slit their wrists with knives, filling the cups with blood for the vampires. Coney recoils in disgust, though she should have known. "Our victories, and our defeats." He looks at Marcel. Klaus raises his glass in a toast to the others. "To my city, my home again. May the blood never cease to flow..."

Marcel lifts his glass and continues for Klaus saying, "And the party never end!" Marcel looks over at Diego.

Diego raises his glass and says, "To New Orleans."

"To New Orleans!" Klaus says.

"New Orleans," Everyone repeats.

Everyone at the table drinks. "I understand that some of you may have questions regarding the recent change in leadership, and I invited you here tonight to assure you that you are not defeated. No, my intentions moving forward are to celebrate what we have. What Marcel, in fact, took and built for this true community of vampires."

"What about her?" Diego asks pointing to Coney at the far end of the table. "The wolf."

"Had you'd let me finish, Diego, you would know that there is, of course, one further matter I would like to address," Klaus says. He walks over to the other end of the table where Hayley sits as he says this. He places a hand on Coney's shoulder and she jumps slightly. "As many of you know, the girl is carrying my child. Consequently, I trust you will all pay her the appropriate respect. However, I understand that some of you are concerned by this vicious rumor that I intend to use the blood of our child to create hybrids. I assure you I do not."

Coney smirks sarcastically and says, "Father of the year."

Klaus, mildly frustrated, ignores her and continues talking. "It appears I will have to earn your trust. Very well. We'll eliminate the root of your anxiety. You see, how I can I sire any hybrids if there are no more werewolves alive in the Bayou to turn?"

"What? Klaus, no!" Coney yells, horrified.

"So eat, drink, and be merry. And, tomorrow, I suggest you have yourselves a little wolf hunt. Go ahead, have fun. Kill them all!" Klaus says, ignoring Coney.

"Hayley's out there," Coney thinks to herself. What was she going to do?

%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%

Coney walks alone down the stairs toward the side door of the compound as she tries to sneak out into the French Quarter. She looks around to see if she's being watched, but before she can go anywhere, Diego cuts in front of her.

"Going somewhere?" He asks.

Suddenly, Elijah appears and breaks Diego's neck by throwing him into the wall. "Elijah, you shouldn't be here. Klaus has his guys watching me," Coney says, worried for him.

Elijah shrugs. "I wouldn't worry about them," He says. After a moment, Rebekah comes along, kicking down two other vampires who were hiding around the corner.