Chapter 4

I guess this is what saying goodbye feels like - like jumping off a cliff. And once you're in the air, there's nothing left but for you to let go. Arms outstretched, winds carrying you above and falling fearlessly hard and fast. The terrain moves before your eyes in a blur of images of a life once past. And that's when you see the world, as it is - infinite.

"Miss Wilson, there was an accident involving one of the students last night. She was found by Ms. Sterling who hasn't left her side ever since..."

Jacqueline paced the length of the ward, worry-lines furrowed across her forehead. It had all seemed like so much like redemption in the beginning. It had been easy to be all hyped up in a group, egging each other on, grins wider than a photo shopped monkey. But in the pale silver of the fading moonbeam, she had balked.

Privacy was not an issue, but the damage it had rendered was. She had to begin their treatment, but their minds were still so fragile. From the thin glass windows, she could see Julia's chest rising and falling faintly and it warmed  her heart to know she hadn't yet failed. Kay Sterling was beside her, one hand clasped and the other soothing Julia's hair.

Maybe it had something to do with their past. Jacqueline didn't know much... Despite having sworn to retain the details from the press and signing various confidential contracts, she feared the limited access to their backgrounds would hinder their therapy and she was worried far more than she had been for her own daughter...

"Lisa, I believe we should start with the first program - ABYSS. It may distract their minds, giving them to think outside their fears. An incident like this is bound to occur again and I'm afraid we're fighting a losing battle." 

"Ms. Wilson, what you are doing for these kids is remarkable. Most wouldn't even foster them much less provide them a home. They need all the love they can get; they have been devoid of it for a lifetime now. What had you expected miracles overnight? They are becoming friends, it is a slow progress but a progress nonetheless..."

Alexia, if you can hear me, guard these children and protect them should I fail. I committed a mistake once and I am trying to atone for my sins. My baby girl, give me the strength I require, this a tremendous step forward for us.

The nurse placed a hand upon Jacqueline's shoulder and motioned for her to watch the scene in front. Julia had slightly stirred and Kay was gleaming in happiness. She tucked a pillow beneath her friend's head and helped her sit up straight. She then sat beside her and hugged her, and Julia went to sleep, feeling secure for the first time.

"I shall wake Mr. Parker and inform he has class. Have faith, Ms. Wilson, everything will turn out fine!"

--------------------------------

"ABYSS happens to stand for..."

"A Bad Yellow Stinking Smell? Are you sure, we didn't accidentally cause an explosion Mr. Peasant because as far as I can see from my throne, you fail as a king!" said Aiden.

As the light cascaded down in liquid gold rays, the efforts of Mr. Parker were in futile. The children were angry at being woken up early, coupled with the absence of breakfast, courtesy of the cooking staff, their irritation knew no bounds. He knew that he had to proceed with caution, one slight mishap could trigger an episode in them and each was more dangerous than the last. But by all the sweet things in the world, it was hard! Especially when each of them had ganged up on him to make this mission impossible!

"As I was saying before I was coolly interrupted by Mr. Mattox here..."

"His majesty or His excellence should suffice!"

"ABYSS stands for Accommodation for Bothered, Young, Sympathetic Souls. And our mission here, is to prove to the world, that you are just as good as them if not better..."

The atmosphere immediately chilled as though the temperature had dropped by a few degrees. Bennett's incessant drumming had stopped and Logan looked plain uncomfortable.

"Society considers us outcasts, our own minds provide us no sanctuary and it is a mystery that we haven't ripped off each other's throats yet. We all have been behind thousands of revolving doors of doctors, undergone innumerable scans and have been prey to countless drugs. With the force of the world behind us, we couldn't be cured, what makes you think that your petty, puny selves can help us?!" Hailey all but shouted.

"There's a first for everything Ms. Walsh, I may be bipolar and I may never see the opportunities the world has to offer but if this guy over here, believes in me then I'm siding with him. I am tired of hiding from the spotlight and being seen as a menace, don't you want to experience the joys of being normal?" countered Nicholas.

"Haven't you heard, all the best people are crazy! There is a conspiracy going on here and I don't particularly like. But go ahead place your trust in them and watch while it gets broken mommy's boy! Stop being a dreamer and face reality." replied Bennett. He strode up to Nicholas before calmly jabbing a finger to his chest, " We are in an asylum, there's no escape from here!"

And that's all it took for hell to break lose. A war of words commenced this time and the language was so foul that it tainted the air. A large bang of the duster brought the noise to a standstill.

"We are here to help you and no, classes don't include painful algebra or repulsive science. It is a battleground, call it a maze of sorts if you like. We are going to show you how to tackle your fears with what you are good at. But before we send you in, we are going to teach you discipline. You need each other to survive. May the odds forever be in your favour!"

Mr. Parker walked out of class, slamming the door in the process. The children looked dumbfounded.

"Well then, I guess we are getting ready to get butchered. May the best one survive!" exclaimed Hailey.

--------------------

We are extremely sorry for the long hiatus, but life became a bit too preoccupying for us.

So what do you guys think?

Vote! Comment! Fan! Until next time ;)