Chapter Fourteen

Some part of him had insisted that having Marshal move in would be a disaster. There would be fighting and despair and he would run away to join Arthur in the guesthouse. Everything would degenerate into something from a soap opera and he would get the crazy idea of wanting someone in his life out of his system once and for all. He would settle into the idea of being a lonely hermit and it would be fine.

Danny was happy to be proven wrong. He couldn't help feeling a touch grateful that he'd met Marshal. He didn't think there was anyone else that could have fit so perfectly into his world as Marshal had.

It almost made him start believing in predestination. He and Marshal had always been meant to meet and fall for each other. They slotted into each other's lives so easily that Danny barely even noticed the changes that appeared in his routine. It was strangely natural.

The first week passed with admirable smoothness as everything clicked together. And he was happy.

"What's with that smile?"

Danny twitched and sat up straight, trying to school his face into blankness. Arthur didn't seem to buy it from his raised eyebrows in the rearview mirror.

"Seriously, you've been acting strange. Should I be concerned?" The car wasn't moving, but Arthur was keeping his attention on the road ahead. He was a quick, but careful driver; never letting his attention waver.

"Everything's fine," Danny said. "I was just thinking how strangely easy it was to fit Marshal into my life."

Arthur's lips in the mirror curved at the corners and his eyes scrunched up slightly. "That's the way it always is. People fit themselves around each other all the time. We're puzzle pieces all trying to find our other halves. And you've found your match. Too bad he's a cop."

"Hey, haven't you ever seen Men In Tights? 'I always wanted to marry a cop.'"

"So wait, you're already talking about marrying this guy? Man, you're quick," Arthur teased.

"Shut up!" Danny couldn't help laughing. It felt good to have a relationship to talk about. Always before he had been the one listening to Arthur wax poetic or watching events from a distance.

It was actually rather startling how romantic Arthur could be. He always had women falling over themselves around him, and he was polite to every single one. Danny didn't think there was anyone that honestly could say anything bad about Arthur, not even those he sharked on as a lawyer.

"So he's making you happy? I don't have to beat him up?" Arthur asked.

Danny shook his head. "Not this week. He's fit into my life surprisingly seamlessly. I think this is going to work."

The car moved forward a few lengths. "Do you know why having Marshal in your life is going so well? It's because you're actually willing to let someone in. You're open to the idea of letting yourself be happy. I'm really proud of you."

Danny felt his cheeks going hot and ducked his head. A pleased smile tugged at his lips. "Thank you."

Arthur turned his head to give him a quick smile. "You don't know, but you're seriously my hero."

"That's funny," Danny said, "because you've always been the one I look up to."

"See, I'm going to have to give Marshal a giant thank you. He's turned your feelings on and revealed that secretly you're a marshmallow inside."

Danny snorted. "Thank you, I guess."

Arthur laughed and changed the subject. Danny let him.