Chapter 19 - Reunited

Hayley's POV

I waited.

I sat by the Cullen's bay windows, not taking my off the woods Bella had disappeared in hours ago. I hated the anticipation. I didn't know what was going on. Were we "winning"? Did anyone get hurt or worse? I knew how vampires were killed, so I watched for smoke on the top of the trees. It never showed. Night turned to the wee hours of the morning as I waited, watching for any glimmer of hope. My eyes drooped with sleep but I was determined to stay awake for when they returned.

Suddenly, I saw something. On the top of the treeline there were several far away billows of smoke rising into the sky. My heart skipped a beat literally at the sight. That was either Ian and his clan or it was the Cullens. I prayed it was the first. I wouldn't know until someone showed up here. I scanned the forest opening quickly for any sign of movement. Five minutes later, a rustling brought me to my feet. My eyes grew wide as I recognized Carlisle and Esme walked out of the trees, followed by others. They looked tired and worn but also very much elated.

I bolted from my lookout and out the door. The first wolf pack person I saw was Sam. I dodged past some the Cullens and flung myself onto Sam. "I'm so glad you're ok," I said hugging him tightly. "Me...you were the one held captive. You look pretty beaten up," he replied hugging me lightly and taking a look at the bruised, exposed skin. I had to admit, I was sore and hugging only made it worse but I could care less at this point. "I'm fine. So, is it over?" I asked pulling back to look up at my uncle. "Yes, we took care of them. They're gone," he exclaimed looking down at me. I let out a breath I was unaware I was holding.

I looked as the Cullens and the rest of the wolf pack headed to the house behind me, scanning for one face inparticular. I didn't see it. As if he was reading my mind, Sam let me go and began walking to the house like the others had. "I'll leave you two alone," he said with a smile and walking again. My eyes followed him until I heard a snap. I turned my head quickly to see Jacob step out of the woods. He looked breathless and tired as the others did, but his presence took my breath away. He spotted me and stopped in his tracks. After what seemed like a second, I began to sprint toward him. He smiled and began making his way to me.

It all seemed to happen in slow motion, like I couldn't get there fast enough. Finally our bodies clashed together. I threw my arms tightly around his neck and he wrapped his around my waist. His warmth immediately washed over my body as we held each other close. "Thank God I have you back in my arms. I was so afraid I was going to lose you," Jacob said wih relief, not letting me go. I felt tears fill my eyes. I thought I had cried all I could but apparently that wasn't the case. I was so overwhelmed with happiness and all the emotions of the past twenty-four hours hit me.

A shutter ran through my body as tears fell. "Don't cry Hayley," he exclaimed pulling back to look down at me. "I can't help it Jacob. I thought you were dead. A few hours ago, I felt my whole world was crashing around me and I didn't care what happened to me because you were gone. Now you're back and I'm just so happy you're ok," I replied, taking in his face. "I'm here now. If anything would have happened to you, I don't know what I would've done," he said putting his hands on either side of my face, using his thumbs to wipe away the tears that were falling down my cheeks.

I studied his expression. His brown eyes bore into mine with great intensity. His eyes were soft and filled with love and compassion. "I love you Jacob Black," I exclaimed placing my hands over his. He smiled at me. "And I love you Hayley Uley," he replied. His lips then crashed onto mine. He moved his hands down to my waist and mine found their way back around his neck again. He pulled me closer to him, his warmth overtaking me. I leant into him, putting all the love I had into this kiss. Many thoughts ran through my mind. I was so lucky to have Jacob back with me. No one was hurt severely and I was back with the person I loved. Jacob picked me up and twirled me around, never taking his lips from mine. Everything was back to where it was...for now.