Chapter 20 - Doubts

There aren't many chapters left!! This one is extra short but bare with me.

*******************************************************************************************************

     Everythng was back to normal. It had now been two weeks since the "incident" as I've become accustomed to calling it. My bruises were nearly gone except a stubborn one around my eye. Sam had allowed me to stay at Jacob's house while he built a new one for us. I smiled at the thought. Jacob hadn't let me out of his sight since the night we reunited, not that I didn't want it that way. The only time we were apart was at night because even though I was living at his house, we still had separate rooms. Well until Billy went to bed, then we'd meet in one room.

      It was currently ten o'clock at night. I patiently listened for Billy's snoring before quietly making my way to Jake's room. His room was dark after I shut the door but moonlight shining in from the window gave me enough light to tiptoe to the bed. Two warm arms wrapped around me as I got under the covers. "Hello stranger," Jake said pulling me closer into him. "Hey," I said stifling a giggle, turning so that I could face him. Even in the dim light, I could see his face clearly. He was staring at me with love and care in his eyes.

     Unexpectedly, he gave me a sweet kiss. "What was that for?" I asked with a smirk. "I don't know just because I love you so much," he said returning the smile. I never got tired of hearing him say that. I love Jacob more than anything and just to know he feels the same intensity makes me extremely happy. "I love you too," I reply. Jacob looks at me before leaning and giving me another kiss. When he pulls away, I pull him back. I could feel him smile into the kiss. It was more passionate then our usual ones. He moves so that he is over me but supporting his own weight. My arms snake their way around his neck, my hands getting tangled in his hair. One of his hands moved down my side, coming to a rest on my hip. Eventually, we had to pull apart, both breathing heavily.

     Jacob's eyes seemed to glisten with something hidden behind them. "Penny for your thoughts," I say as Jacob lays back beside me pulling me to his chest. I inhaled deeply, loving how he smelled. "I was just thinking about you like always," he exclaimed. Something about how he said it caught me off guard. It seemed distant, sad. I propped myself up on my elbows so I could look at him. "What about me?" I question. He didn't look at me. "What if something happens to you like with Ian? I almost lost you and I don't know what I would've done if I did. What if next time, it's worse? What if it's all my fault? What if I can't protect you?" he replied eyes locked to the ceiling. Why is he thinking this? "Jacob, listen to me. I completely and fully trust you. You are the one who saved me and you can protect me. I don't like hearing you talk like that," I say firmly, placing my hand on the side of his face so he'll look at me. His eyes, that a minute ago was full of love, now were distant. He leant and kissed my forehead before pulling me back against his chest. This side of Jacob scared me. Why was he all of a sudden distant? How can we be all lovey dovey one minute then distant the next? These thoughts haunted me all night until I fell into a restless sleep.