[08]

C H A P T E R E I G H T

V I O L E T S M I T H

SMILING TO MYSELF, I applied a layer of lip gloss onto my lips, my finger brushed across the surface, patting them gently to spread the tint evenly. "Perfect." I mumbled. Smoothing the creases that gathered on the dress, I felt the butterflies in my stomach flutter beneath my hand. Excitement bubbled within.

It was then that the doorbell had rung and my eyes did a last minute sweep over my appearance in the mirror. Jason was picking me up tonight and we were going to the party together. Rushing down the stairs, I reached for the door, pulling it open to reveal Jason.

Starting at his shoes, my eyes trailed up him. I wasn't blind, Jason was very good looking. Of course, I would never admit that to him. His arm rested against the frame of the door, his tall frame blocking the doorway. Looking at him, I noticed he was doing exactly what I had done; he took my appearance in, starting from my heels and trailing up to meet my eyes.

His jaw tightened and loosened. "Violet." I was afraid I would get lost in his dark eyes, I could have sworn there was flakes of gold that I had failed to notice before. I loved his eyes. I had realised the two of us were standing in silence, staring at each other and a soft laugh rolled off my tongue. He blinked and his posture straightened instantly.

I took a step forwards and he moved back. "Let's go." I smiled, manoeuvring around his large frame. Before I could take another step towards his car, I felt his fingers slipped around my arm, gently, he tugged me backwards and if it weren't for his controlled grip, I'd have stumbled back.

"Wait...I have some rules." Looking at him from over my shoulder, my head tilted sideways and for the second time already, our eyes met.

"What kind of rules ?"

"No accepting drinks from  sketchy guys. Don't leave my sight. Just in case you do for some reason leave my sight: you won't, don't go off with a stranger and if you want to leave at any point, you let me know...okay?"

"Yes boss."

I cracked a smile at his list of rules and Jason merely shook his head, a chuckle escaping his lips as his fingertips vanished from my skin and the spot he once touched seconds ago felt cold. I missed the warmth of his touch.

"This is so exiting." Jason and I entered the house, I smiled at some people as we passed by familiar faces and Jason merely nodded, but the smile he sported to me not more than 5 minutes ago was nowhere to be seen. It was as if his smile was reserved for me and me alone.

I was about to drag Jason towards the area in the centre of the living room where I spotted people dance until a voice soared through the ear, somehow I managed to catch it despite the music that boomed from the speakers. "Oh my god, Violet darling, is that you?!" Missy's blonde hair appeared as she pushed her way through a crowd, her dainty fingers fluttering in a waving motion.

"You look gorgeous, darling." She laughed, pulling me into a brief hug, her eyes brightly lit up and she flashed a genuine smile at me. "You look beautiful too." Her pearly whites glistened and her smile widened at my compliment.

It was then she noticed I wasn't alone and I remembered Jason was standing right behind me, I felt his gaze on me and my cheeks flushed. Before I could introduce the two, Missy flashed a flirty grin as her eyes wandered over him.