Chapter 1- Exodus In America

At a port town, a crowd of passengers disembarks from a steamboat; among them, a grizzled cowboy with a gun at his hip. Two lawmen escort him off the boat and walk him up through the town. A young scruffy looking boy walks up one of the lawmen ramming a newspaper in his face.

"Extra, extra, health benefits of smoking! Extra, extra, read all about" He was interrupted as the Lawman shoved him out the way "...hey! Watch it, mister!" The second cop also shoved him aside, but that didn't stop the boy telling everyone about the news "Extra, extra! Bill Williamson's gang..." His voice becomes muffled as the three of them walk away.

They walk up town ending up at Blackwater Station. The cowboy gets on the train without saying a word, and takes a seat as the steam engine leaves town. Two ladies are behind him, and a young lady and a preacher in front of him. The cowboy can't help but over hear both conversations.

"Well, I for one am grateful, Mrs. Bush," Started one of the women "They are finally bringing civilization to this savage land."

"I could not agree with you more, my dear. My daddy settled this land and I know he'll be looking down on us, pleased at how we helped the natives."

"Yes they've lost their land, but they've gained access to heaven." The cowboy rolled his eyes. He listens to the young lady and the preacher in the seat ahead of him.

"But Father, do you mean unless an innocent receives communion, they're destined to go to hell? That hardly seems fair."

"What I mean to say, Jenny, is that there is a great deal of difference between an innocent and a savage."

"I never thought of it that way." The young girl looked out the window before looking back at her father "Not only do people now have motorcars, father, but I heard pretty soon we will be able to fly."

"No, only angels can fly, Jenny."

"No, no, apparently people can fly. Didn't you hear? Out in Kansas a man even got a car to fly."

"I hardly think so, Jenny."

The cowboy rested his head on the small window and closed his eyes. However, he awoke to the Lady behind him point out that they had arrived in Armadillo. Everyone disembarks into the sleepy frontier town. The cowboy hits the bar, and a bearded coot fondling a girl on the couch calls out to him.

"Mr. Marston! Over here! You must be John Marston."

"Sometimes." The cowboy replied

"I'm Jake." He stands up and reaches a hand out to John who shakes it. "Your friends from Blackwater hired me to guide you."

"They ain't my friends" Marston explained "but pleased to meet you, Jake."

Jake walks to the door of the bar and Marston follows him. "I got the horses saddled up and ready out front. You ain't gonna find sturdier horses than all of these in all of New Austin. Easy on the spurs now. We don't need to draw undue attention."

Both men mount up and hit the trail, letting the train pass by behind them. Both men kick their horses on to a fast steady canter.

"So, it's Fort Mercer you wanna visit?" Jake asks.

"That's right." Marston shouts back.

"Ain't taken nobody up to the Fort in a long time. Strange place for a decent fella to visit, if you don't mind me sayin'."

"Who said I was a decent fella?" John smirked

"It's been abandoned for years now. Folks say it was built during the Mexican War. All kinds of soldiers around back then."