one

CHAPTER ONE: SUPER ZEROES

| STAR CITY| July 4, 08:57 PDT

| STAR CITY
| July 4, 08:57 PDT

Marisol feels that the best way to cope with a major change in her life is change; and the easiest change she can make in life is to her hair. When she found out that her father was an "evil scientist" who created her in a lab, she dyed her hair red. When her first boyfriend broke up with her, she took a pair of scissors to her hair and ended up with very messy bangs. So naturally, when Dinah had taken her costume and banned her from patrols (for the foreseeable future), she cut her waist length hair to her shoulders. Dinah was upset at the sloppy job she had done, and it satisfied Marisol.

But of course, today was the day and Banshee couldn't be seen on national television with a bad haircut, not that it was that bad, if you asked Marisol. (Roy had said it looked like she'd cut it blindfolded and without having ever heard of a straight line). The girl hardly understood why Dinah was evening doing this. She was sure her recent recklessness in the field was going to revoke her invitation, in her first step to becoming a member of the league; but of course maybe it just means Dinah isn't as mad as Marisol thinks she is.

But of course she wasn't going to voice this opinion to Dinah, the last thing she wanted was for Black Canary to change her mind.

Instead Marisol huffs from her seat in a salon chair, eyes are trained on the T.V. in the upper right corner of the room, engrossed in the news story about a dog dragging a girl from a burning building.

"See Dinah, that's another thing on the pro side of why we should get a dog." Marisol quips, though really the person she needs to convince is Oliver. He had said something about a dog messing up his leather couch, not that he couldn't afford a new one. She had even tried begging Roy to get a dog so she could just stop by and see it whenever she liked but he claimed to be allergic, Marisol wasn't sure if she believed him.

She sees Dinah roll her eyes and she just knows her mentor is thinking about how when it comes down to it they'd probably have to rescue the dog.

"You get in a fight with a pair of scissors or somethin'?" The hair stylist jokes. Marisol makes eye contact with the woman through the mirror and forces an awkward smile.

"Yeah, or something." Because really what else is she supposed to say, I cut all my hair off because I haven't been able to take out my frustrations on random criminals for the past three weeks and so the rage built up and was about to explode so I did the most drastic yet safe thing I could think of?

Yeah she doesn't think so.

When Marisol's eyes find the T.V. again it's no longer playing the story about the dog and the girl. Instead it's playing shaky camera footage of Main Bridge, where Speedy and Green Arrow are facing off with Icicle Jr.