3

FanFiction
Just In
Community
Forum

More

Linked by Philyra912
 Books » Harry Potter Rated: T, English, Romance, Draco M., Hermione G., Words: 61k+, Favs: 4k+, Follows: 920, Published: Jun 18, 2005 Updated: Jan 5, 2006
 2,542 Chapter 3: The Iunctus Mens Effect
Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter. . . . If you're expecting a cute little elaboration on this idea, don't hold your breath. It's early. I got nothin.'

A/N: This chapter mostly consists of a more in-depth explanation of the side effect that has resulted in the link between Hermione and Malfoy. I apologize because I know it's boring in some places and that some of the information is, in fact, completely irrelevant to the storyline, but I promise there's a method to my madness. A few things that are mentioned will be crucial to the rest of the story, so I ask you to bear with me.

Because I feel so bad about this chapter, I will post the next one tomorrow morning, and I promise it will be considerably more interesting than this one is. With that said, on to the (crappy) chapter!

Chapter 3: The Iunctus Mens Effect

As Hermione moved quickly through the halls, she was oblivious to the annoyed and curious stares she received from the students she was pushing past. She had all but sprinted from the Potions dungeon when class had ended, intent upon avoiding Harry and Ron and getting to the library as quickly as possible. She was relatively certain that no one had yet figured out what had happened to Malfoy and her, and she was hoping to keep it that way, at least until she was more informed on the subject.

She stepped into the library, finding it wonderfully empty. Madame Pince was barely visible on the second-floor balcony, sorting books in what Hermione knew to be Muggle Studies section. Careful not to be seen so that no awkward questions might be asked, Hermione darted into the towering stacks of books toward the far left corner, where she had once discovered a small section of books on Magical Accidents, Coincidences, and Mysteries. Upon reaching the area, she quickly found a likely candidate: Unintended Magic: A Guide to Magical Side Effects. She sat a nearby table and opened the enormous volume to the index. In a chapter entitled "What No One Will Tell You about Love Potions and other Emotion Magic," an extensive article was dedicated to Partis Sensus and its side effect, which the author referred to as the Iunctus Mens Effect.

Hermione flipped furiously through the pages to find the correct passage. A curl escaped from the messy knot she had tied her hair into, and she brushed it behind her ear impatiently. She made a small sound of triumph when she found what she was looking for. The first few paragraphs were devoted to the history of the Partis Sensus potion, but Hermione knew more from her textbook than the author had included in the text, so she skipped over until she found mention of the side effect that was wreaking such havoc on her life. Her eyes raced feverishly over the lines of text, her heart tightening with each word she read.

The existence and use of the potion itself is widely known in the wizarding community, but less well known is a rare and mostly un-researched side effect, the Iunctus Mens Effect. The first documented case of this phenomenon was in 1945, when Hilda Green, a young Healer in Britain, hysterically reported to her advising Healer that she had been hexed by another young Healer with whom she had an ongoing rivalry. When the girl was calmed down, she explained that she believed she had been placed under a curse that forced her to experience the horrible events that had damaged the psyche of a patient she was treating. She was also convinced that whatever Dark magic had been performed on her was also warping the effects of the Partis Sensus potion she had been using to treat said patient. The empathic link of the potion usually lasts for an hour at most; the young Healer had been tormented by the pain of her patient for almost two days by the time she reported it to her advisor.