dark.

"Mya baby, don't stay out in the sun too long. You'll get too dark."

It was a summer day and I left the house to play with my friends. Summer is when little children prosper and frolic freely playing freeze tag and skipping rope.

I was four years old. I quickly ran back inside. I didn't understand much at the moment but from what I could, being dark wasn't considered a good thing.

***

I remember another time, around the same age, my mother and I went to the supermarket to pick up some things to prepare Thanksgiving dinner. I was begging my mother to buy me a pack white powdered doughnuts, my favorite.

My mother scolded me in calm but cold voice. "If you make a scene in this store, Mya, I swear to -"

My mother turned around, after feeling someone tap on her shoulder. She put on her fake face, a feigned smile that only came out in professional environments or when she had someone to impress.

The lady facing her was light-complected with bone straight hair. Her edges were untraceable, but that hair was slick and laid. The lady's face had a strained look to it, with her inviting eyes that were also cold like a glacier and her lips tight even when she smiled.

She spoke in a greater-than-thou manner. "You and your daughter are so pretty. Just imagine if the little one were light skinned."

I frowned. I knew the lady meant well but it didn't feel great to hear that. Just imagine if I were light skinned.

A/N:
I started another story. What are you going to do?? Yell at me through your screen lol. But this one is a pre-written short story so there will be regular updates.