One

5 minutes ... I tapped my pencil

4 minutes.... Snow was falling outside the window

3 minutes.... Ms. Delinger dragged on about the english project due when we got back

2 minutes.... The sound of zipping backpacks began to fill the room

1 minute.... Everyone shuffled in their seat and Ms. Delinger struggled to keep our attention ( to no use )

*RING* ... Everyone busted out of their seats, and crammed out the door. It was winter break.

The hallways were packed, and I searched frantically for my best friend LIzzie, coming across just about everyone else instead. Everyone one hugged each other, like they would never see each again, but I simply wasn’t interested. I needed to find Lizzie, and go home. 

“Lizzie!” I shouted. “ Lizzie, Hey.” I said, finally catching up with her. 

She turned around and enveloped me into a hug, squealing “Happy Winter Break!!” then she stepped back to look at me. Her face fell when she saw the obvious discontentment plastered on my face. “Hey, What’s wrong? This is your favorite time of year Bray.”

“You’ll never guess who I’m spending it with.” I replied, shooting her a glance.

“Oh no. The witch and her husband? I thought you were with your Mom this year, though.”

“So did I, turns out her brother needs her to come up to New York and visit some relative, and that leaves me with them.” 

“Oh Brae, I’d offer for you to come stay with us but we are headed up to my Aunt’s house. Hey my mom is here, but call me if you need anything! Merry Christmas!” And just like that, she was gone, running out the front doors of the school into the falling snow.

I began walking towards my locker to get my stuff before I started my walk. My Dad’s house was just close enough to my school that I could walk, and my car was so conveniently broken down. I shut my locker, and pushed open the big heavy wood doors. The air was cold, and the snow was already getting into my eyelashes. I loved the snow, don’t get me wrong, but now was not the time. Cars drove away, and soon the school seemed empty, but here I still was trekking across the sidewalk. I had covered a favorable distance, and my house was probably only 8 more minutes, but now I wasn’t alone. That was something I had forgotten about this walk, Cason Bristow. 

Cason Bristow had been a close friend of mine growing up, when my parents were still together, and even after they split we would spend loads of time together. He had helped my four year old self through a gnarly divorce, seeing the very best and worst of me and he was one of the only ones who knew the life I had at my Dad’s. Then as we grew older; gaining years, friends, and experiences, we just drifted apart. He was popular, tall, gorgeous, kind, and your typical player. But he was different, he broke their hearts, but the girls new exactly what they were getting into. Each girl thought they would change his ways, they would break the pattern, but they never did. He loved them, and left them, dropping them just about as soon as he picked them up. I am not sure why we never associated again, in most cases, one gets popular and the other doesn’t which separates them, and though he was very popular, I also had myself a large group of friends. He just seemed so off-limits. The way he was around other girls was mysterious, he was always kind, but very subdued, unlike the Cason I once knew, who was loud and simply hilarious, this one seemed different. 

Cason lived just about in between my Mom’s house and my Dad’s house. From school, it took me about 15 minutes to walk to my Dad’s, and maybe 30 minutes to my Mom’s. For him to walk home probably took about 35 minutes, because his house was in a different direction, but whenever I walked to my Dad’s (which was not often) he was always there walking, on the other side of the street. I found this slightly conspicuous because, when I drove to my Mom’s he was never walking.