Chapter 1 - Winter Road

"Beginning is the start of the end."

-

I run and run. Running for my life is the only thing I have done for the last two years.

I huff, my breathing ragged as I tried to catch my breath. I finally looked up and found myself in the middle of a dark snowy road. Far from when I stand was a car. It was crashed against a large tree on the sidewalk.

I walked closer and saw blood everywhere. I shivered in fear as I discovered the figures of the dead bodies I couldn't even tell who it belonged to.

I had seen this scene before but I couldn't remember. They were a figure of a man and woman who looks familiar.

I looked at them closer, the woman is still alive, fighting and pleading to be helped. No one is here except me. I wanna help her but I can't move. I couldn't even touch a single strand of her hair. I couldn't even look at her eyes knowing that she's desperately shouting for help.

This is a dream, isn't it?

A nightmare full of fear and terror.

Who are these people? Why do they always appear in my dreams?

I wanted to help them. I wanted to pull them out of the burning car. I feel helpless and I wanted to shout at them. My anxiety is building up. I keep thrashing but I can't move.

I tried to look at them even closer right now. I wanted to at least know their faces. The woman is losing too much blood but was still yelling and making a sound from the broken window glass of her car.

She had beautiful auburn hair and dashing green eyes. Her clothes are filthy with bloodstains. Blood is dripping from her forehead down her eyes. She wore a beautiful waxing spirit crescent moon pendant that awfully looks familiar.

The unconscious man beside her had his hands protectively wrapped around the woman. He is in much worse condition than her. Blood gushed out of his wounded arms from a tree branch that pierced him. His mouth is gushing with blood and he looks lifeless.

I stared at the man with tears in my eyes. I sobbed and shouted. It feels like my heart is torn into pieces. I can't breathe. Then it dawned on me.

I blinked and a part of me just died. I thought I was going to faint as I slump beside the man. I looked at him lifeless.

I felt empty and numb. I choked at my tears. This man is my twin brother.

My now dead twin brother.

If he was my brother then this woman was my mother. My selfless, loving mother. The mother that I would never see again.

My mother who sacrificed everything for our needs. Everything about her was starting to blur my vision as I look at her slowly dying eyes.

I shouted for them like it was the end of the world but I couldn't hear my voice. I can only hear the drops of rain together with my hot tears as I look at their vanishing figures.

I don't want to close my eyes because if I did, I wouldn't see them again. Their body turned into ashes, their faces burned.