VII We Ruin A Perfectly Good Bus

Some of this is copied from Rick Riordan's books. He owns the characters.

The camp store loaned me one hundred dollars in mortal money and twenty golden drachmas. I already had some drachmas, but I would take as many as I could get. They're useful. I had some ambrosia and nectar in my backpack, but Chiron gave some for Annabeth and Grover to keep too.

Annabeth was bringing her invisibility hat, obviously. She carried a famous classical architecture, written in Ancient Greek, to read when she got bored, and a long bronze knife, hidden in her short sleeve.

Grover wore fake feet and his pants to pass as human. He wore a green hat to cover the tips of his horns. His bright orange backpack was full of scrap metal and apples to snack on. In his pocket was a set of reed pipes his daddy goat had carved for him, even though he only knew two songs: Mozart's Piano Concerto no. 12 and Hilary Duff's "So Yesterday," both of which sounded pretty bad on reed pipes.

We waved good-bye to the other campers, took one last look at the strawberry fields, the ocean, and the Big House, then hiked up Half Blood Hill to the tall pine that used to be Thalia, daughter of Zeus.

Chiron was waiting for us in the wheelchair. Next to him was a dude with blue eyes all over his body. He was the head of security, and supposedly had eyes all over his body.

"This is Argus," Chiron told me. "He will drive you to the city, and, er, well, keep an eye on things.

I heard footsteps behind us.

Like came running up the hill, carrying a pair of basketball shoes.

"Hey!" He painted. "Glad I caught you."

Annabeth blushed.

"Just wanted to say good luck," Luke told me. "And I thought... um, maybe you could use these."

He handed me sneakers.

Luke said, "Maia!"

White bird's wings sprouted from the heals. The wings flapped around until they folded up and disappeared.

"Awesome!"  Grover exclaimed.

Luke smiled. "Those served me well when I was on a quest. Gift from Dad. Of course, I don't use them much these days...." His expression turned sad.

"Thanks, Luke." I smiled. Then a thought came to me. Luke calls me friend....

Luke smiled. "No problem, Percy. Just... kill some monsters for me, okay?"

"Sure thing, Luke."

We shook hands. Luke patted Grover's head between the horns, then gave a good bye hug to Annabeth to Annabeth, who looked like she might pass out.

After Luke was gone, I told her, "You're hyperventilating."

"Am not," she denied.

I rolled my eyes. Annabeth walked down the hill, where an car waited on the shoulder of the road. Argus followed, jingling his car keys.

I lifted the flying shoes. "I won't be able to use these, will I?"

He shook his head. "Luke meant well, Percy. But taking to the air... that would not be wise for you.

I nodded, then turned to Grover.

"Sorry, Grover," I said, looking at his hopeful expression. "I'm going to keep this in my bag. I don't think any of us should use these. You know, betrayed by a friend, and all."

Grover nodded, but looked disappointed.

"Hey," I told him. "Don't be sad about it. I have extra tin cans and apples and stuff. I also have an extra pair of reed pipes in case yours break. I also have lots of water bottles. And lots of other stuff."