one

I stood in front of my new high school with my fourteen year old brother, Quentin next to me. He was starting the tenth grade and I was starting the eleventh grade.

Cedarwood High School. Home to the Cedarwood Vikings.

The banner on the front of the building had said with a Viking animation next to it and the school's theme colors, purple and yellow, as the banner's background.

Was I nervous? Hell yes!

"Are you ready?" Quentin asked.

"No," I answered truthfully.

"We kinda have no choice Legacy."

I sighed. "How do I look?" I asked moving in front of him.

I was wearing a cheetah print tube top romper shorts with my cheetah print KEDs. I spent three hours straightening my long hair this morning which passed my ass now that it was straightened. I think I'm due for a hair cut soon. I also had tanned this summer so I looked a little darker than usually which meant my blue eyes will stand out more. Great, more reasons for people to notice me.

"From the way those guys are looking at you, I guess you look good." He said pointing behind me.

I turned around and saw two guys and a girl eyeing me from the concrete staircase. I remembered the girl, she was one of the movers who helped us move into our house yesterday. She tried to flirt with me too. They were all eyeing me like I was the last piece of chicken at the dinner table. The one with the dreads caught my attention though. He was all types of fine with his milk chocolate skin, almond eyes and sexy tattoos but I could tell he was way older than I was. He was looking at me with intense eyes with a toothpick in his mouth. I guess he noticed me staring because he cracked a side smile that sorta looked like a smirk and nodded his head towards me. "Let's go Legacy before I get into a scrap on the first day." Quentin grumbled angrily as he glared at the group and grabbed my arm, pulling me towards the entrance.

I rolled my eyes and followed behind him. My brother was very protective over me. Growing up, I was the only girl in the 'squad'. I grew up with my two cousins, three brothers and three uncles and they were all boys. Although I was older than most of them, they still treated me like I was a little girl and I wasn't the type to stand up for myself so I let them baby me.

We walked up the stairs to the entrance where the group was sitting. We tried to pass them with no interaction but when we were about to walk through the double doors, I was gently pulled back by the gorgeous one. "Hey ma," he said in a deep husky voice. "I ain't ever seen you around. You new?"

I smiled and nodded 'cause I immediately got too shy to speak. I was usually shy around boys, whether they were cute or not. I don't know, it was just something about them that made me nervous and awkward. "That's cool." He said with a flirtatious smile and bit his bottom lip. "I'm Cali."

This is one of those moments when I hated being redbone 'cause I swear my face was turning scarlet right now. "Sorry to burst your bubble dude," Quentin said butting in. "But she ain't interested." He then yanked me through the double doors and inside the building.

"Geez, can't you be anymore embarrassing?" I scolded, snatching my hand away from him when we reached inside.

"Look, I don't mind you talking to boys 'cause you're sixteen now and dad approved of you having a boyfriend but that nigga outside looked like it was his third year in the twelfth grade."

"He probably looks older than he really is." I said suddenly feeling the need to defend him. "Like you."

Quentin rolled his eyes. "I don't trust him Legacy and I don't think you should either."