Prologue

As the rain fell steadily outside of the dark house a car pulled up on the street. A man got out of the car and walking to the door, pulled out a key and opened it with a click. "Dad's home! Dad's home! Dad's home!" A voice called from the other room, followed by a small boy of about 9 running down the hallway at full tilt. The man who had just entered the house closed the door behind him. Turning around, grinning, and bending down with arms wide open he embraced the small child. "Hey sport!" He laughed hugging him tightly to his chest. The small boy pushed away from his father's embrace. "Dad! Dad! You gotta come see - come see what grandpa bought me!" He yelled while pointing down the hallway eagerly. "Haha ok kiddo, just give me a sec--" He said unclipping his belt and placing it on a small table next to the door with his wallet and car keys. "No time Dad!" He said grabbing his thumb and attempting to pull him down the hallway, "You gotta see NOW!" . "Ok I'm coming, I'm coming..." He said walking after his son who was already in the doorway to his room jumping up and down.

He entered the room and saw what his son was pointing to. It was a poster with a man clad in space-age armour striking a heroic pose and pointing heroically at the sky. "Oh wow champ that's so cool!" He smiled warmly as the child's face lit up. "It's just like Space Commander Rex!" His Dad laughed and saluted in the same fashion as his son's hero. Gasping his son copied him "Truth!" He shouted. "Justice!" His father recited. "And selflessness!" The small boy yelled trying to keep a serious expression, but failing. "With these three traits anyone can be a hero! And soar above the stars!" He yelled picking his son up and spinning him around making rocket ship noises while he screamed in delight.

Afterwards they sat on the bed catching their breath. "Dad?" The young boy said looking into his father's face. "Yeah bud?" His father asked looking back at him with a warm smile. "When I grow up I wanna be a policeman just like you! Fighting crime and serving justice!" He said punching the air. His Dad laughed tousling the young boy's hair, "Always with the justice. At least I don't have to worry about you growing up to be a criminal!" He said laughing. He looked back at his son and saw that he was staring at the picture framed next to his bed. It was a picture of three smiling people; a family. A pale man in a grey coat with dark brown hair was squatted down, dark blue eyes twinkling. A child of about 3 stood next to him, supported by his father. He had sandy blonde hair and dark brown eyes as well as almost olive skin. The last person in the picture was a woman with olive skin. Her straight dark brown hair fell over her shoulders and her light blue eyes and white smile shone bright and cheerful through the shadow of her face. The family looked so happy, you'd never think anything could've gone wrong. The father sighed and looked at his son's sad expression, "You know, your mother and I never knew why you had brown eyes. We all had blue eyes even your grandfather..." he laughed but then saw his son didn't look up. The child sniffed and rubbed his nose. He decided to try again, "Your hair's gotten a lot more brown since then." He said smiling and gesturing towards the photograph, "Soon it'll be just like mine, except without the grey streaks of course." He chuckled. His son didn't look up. He sighed "Your mother would be proud, you know that kiddo?" His son looked up, "You really think so?" He sniffed. His father put a hand on his shoulder, "Christopher Harley Jackson," He looked into his eyes, "Your mother always believed that everyone should look out for others, for each other. Which is exactly what you do!" He smiled at his son "Chris, if you believe and try your hardest you can be whatever you want, even just like Space Commander Rex!" The small boy sniffed again "A hero?" . "Yes." His father said pulling him in and embracing him. Then he held him out at arms length, "You're a good person Chris, don't let anyone or anything change that." Suddenly a tri-tone noise resonated through the room. Pulling out his phone Chris' father saw that he had a message telling him (Alexander Jackson) to get back to the station immediately. "Hey, listen kiddo I got to go. But don't worry I'll be back in half an hour! Just got a tiny issue to work out." He smiled at his son as he walked out of the room.

Devastated, Chris followed his father down the hallway towards the front door. His Dad picked up his belt, keys and wallet and opened the door. "Bye champ, I'll be back in half an hour." He said stepping outside and going to close the door. "Dad?" Chris said quietly. His father paused and looked at him in concern. "You promise?" Chris mumbled quietly before his Dad could respond. His father was taken aback, he looked down and saw his son was clutching one of his hero action figures and he smiled. "Only if you promise me that you'll keep helping others and grow up to be that hero of yours," he smiled, "but just sticking up for others would be okay too." He winked. The small boy grinned "Ok Dad, I promise." . "I promise as well then. Bye my little trooper!" He said and putting on his hat, closed the door.