6: Today was a whining day for me.

Because Being Together Is Enough~ 6

Jane handed me an envelope. What rubbish?

I looked at the yellow envelope and then at her.

"What is this?" I asked.

"Well, I was told to deliver this to your house and I did it."

With this she turned on her heels and I wondered if she was playing a prank at me or something. No name was there on the envelope. I frowned. What can it be? It couldn't be a good thing if Jane was smirking at me like that... I was going to rip the envelope into pieces when I heard my mom call me, "Anna, where are you darling?"

"Coming mom." There was no way I was going to tell her about the Jane thing. She kind of likes her, I don't know why.

I reached my mom's room and I felt my eyes would pop out. Mom...was wearing a beautiful pink dress and she looked like a queen. I mean she wore dresses but never has she looked so beautiful and graceful in a dress. I put the envelope in my jeans pocket and walked in.

"Mom...you look-I am speechless." I was too stunned to say anything.

But, was it some occasion today? Surely, it was not her birthday.

"Do I look good?" She asked shyly.

"Good? You look the best." I kissed her cheek.

"But-" she cut me off.

"It's my friend's birthday party tomorrow."

"Friend?" I raised an eyebrow. My mom was not a social person. She had very few friends.

"Dr. Jonathan Grey." she said.

Grey...that sounded similar. What? Is she talking about Nathan's dad. When did he become such a good friend of hers?

"You mean...Nathan's dad?" I muttered. The person on my stay-away-from-jerk's list...

"Umm...yeah. We have become good friends."

Yeah right. The Grey charm is working on her.

"And you know what," she spoke, her eyes sparkling with excitement, "He has invited you too!"

"What?" I almost shouted. He has invited me. That means...that means Nathan will be there which means I'll be...No. There was no way I was going to attend this party. No no no. Not at all.

Stop panicking, Anna. It's just a party.

It's just a party. It's just a party. Breathe.

I chanted again and again to calm myself down but it wasn't working.

Mom surely saw my panicked state. I can't bear with Nathan for more than a minute. No way.

"Oh dear. I know what's worrying you. Not to worry, I have got your dress ready."

My dress was ready but I wasn't. The last party I attended was a disaster and there was no way I was going to a party where there will be popular jerks around. I don't want to become a joke when the photographs come out.

"This is Anna Jean Jones, the joker of the school!" I imagined Jane announcing through play fields and corridors of the school.

I shook my head.

"Mom...I-I c-can't. I can't go to party." I am so sorry mom for ruining your happiness like this.