"Now we're a world away." - Part 1

America Schreave sat, quietly staring out the window at the beautiful palace gardens. Sighing sadly, she thought of her daughter, Eadlyn.

"What should I do?" She wondered.

Ever since Princess Eadlyn had canceled the Selection, she'd acted uncharacteristically depressed. Most of her meals she took to her room, where she stayed almost all day long. When she wasn't in her room, she was yelling at the staff.

Sometimes America would overhear her daughter talking to someone on the phone. Whenever she asked who was on the other line, Eadlyn would get snappy or sarcastic. Something was terribly wrong, but the worried Queen hadn't the slightest idea what to do about it. The only reason she could come up with for her daughter's . . . snippy behavior, was that one of the boys who'd gone home had taken Eadlyn's heart as well.

"You're thinking too hard, my dear," Maxon placed his hand over his wife's in an attempt to cheer her up.

"Maxon, I just don't know what to do!" America turned from the window to look at her husband. "She's heartbroken. I'm her mother. I should be able to fix this!"

"America darling, you can't fix everything. Sometimes things must fix themselves," Maxon smiled sadly. "You can't force someone to be happy."

"Yes, but what if we did something? Together as a family," America sat up straighter in her chair, her mind whirling. "Yes, something as a family! That would cheer her up, wouldn't it? At least for a little while?"

Maxon laughed at his wife's burning enthusiasm. "Whatever makes you happy, my love. Whatever makes you happy."

• • •

"Eadlyn, come now. It's just dinner," Neena crossed her arms in exasperation.

I groaned and pulled a pillow over my head. "I'm not in the mood to talk, Neena. Can't you see that?"

I heard my loyal maid sigh loudly. "Fine then. If you don't want to eat, you don't have to eat. It's just such a shame that all those lovely strawberry tarts will be eaten by Osten. Especially since they're your very favorite."

Under my protective pillow I frowned. "Oh please, I'm not six anymore. Bribery doesn't work!"

I stayed put as I heard Neena walk out of the room quickly, her heels pitter-pattering down the hall. When I was sure she was gone, I peeked up cautiously.

Empty. Thank goodness.

I slowly rose out of bed and dragged myself to my mirror. Ugh, what was the big deal? Why did everyone think I just had to be down in the dining room with them? I could see the pitiful glances given to me by the maids and butlers. By my siblings and my dad. By my mother.

They all thought I had a problem. Why? I don't really know. Mom keeps trying to tell me that I'm heartbroken. Heartbroken? The only person who'd ever be capable of breaking my heart was hundreds of miles away.

Suddenly I felt my eyes well up with tears. He was gone. Most likely forever. I'd never get to talk to him or laugh with him or touch him ever again. Ever. Again.

I wiped at my eyes angrily. Why was I crying? Over him? I should've just guarded my heart. I shouldn't have let him in. The only thing I got back was pain.

Just as I was cleaning up my face, I heard someone clear their throat by my door. Arg, why couldn't people just leave me alone?!