Prologue: Accusations

The Lady of Gotham Diner was always open. 24/7 7 days a week..

Bruce remembered the many times he took Mikoto here.. After they finished work, he felt it prudent to treat her to something that wasn't a high class boring meal.. something that could make her feel normal.. it's what his father had done for him countless times..

But tonight, it was a sore memory, as he looked down at the diner from the rooftops, a bat shaped cowl over his face, and a billowing cape fluttering at his back. He had searched high and low... looked up every lead.. chased down every crook...

And each time the question was the same.

"WHERE IS SHE!!!? TELL ME!! OR I SWEAR I WILL BREAK EVERY BONE IN YOUR BODY!!!"

And the answers were always either. "I DON'T KNOW!! I SWEAR!!!" or "PLEASE DON'T HURT ME!! I'LL TELL YOU EVERYTHING!!!"

And the second answer was always a lie to avoid getting hurt.. which never worked in the end. He could tell when they lied, he always could.

And tonight.. he stared down at the diner from above, remembering the good times...

Which didn't last long..

"BOOOOOMMMMMM!!" A powerful blast of flames exploded from the inside of the diner..

Batman stood stunned for a minute, before putting a finger to the side of his head and activating his comms. "Alfred! There's been another terrorist attack!! I'm going to search for survivors!"

"Sir! What about Miss Misaka?" said a voice.

"That can wait, this danger's immediate." Batman leapt off the building and spread his cape out like giant bat wings, gliding down to the street below... he hurried over to the burning diner and punched through the door..

He held up his cape over his face, as the flames flared up.. Batman's eyes widened. "Alfred.. there's.. nobody left..."

All over the diner.. were burning skeletons, charred by the relentless flames...as the water from fire suppression system continued to rain down.

"Dear Lord Master Bruce.. should I alert Gordon?"

"Immediately.." said Batman. "And.. tell him to be careful.. there's something unusual about this fire."

"Unusual sir?"

"The flames aren't spreading, they seem to be controlled somehow.. as if they wish to only burn on their targets.." said Batman. "And the heat is unusually strong.. Not to mention the suppression system is having no effect on the flames themselves.. the water's actually evaporating off the surface of the fire.."

Batman put a strange black thermometer-like device into the flames. "Readings indicate something very similar to the flames Etregan once encountered during a League mission.. Dragon Fire.."

And that's when Batman noticed something on the floor..

He picked up a white scarf.. that looked as if it were made of scales...

"It's immune to the fire." Batman said. "As if intended to be worn into an unusual blaze like this without being damaged... it most definitely was worn by the assailant responsible.."

Batman then found a note tucked within the scarf... and as he read the note.. fury etched into his very soul...

There were only three words... etched into the scarf itself...

"We have her..."