chapter two

Chapter Two ~ Broken Beyond Repair

-Lina's P.O.V.-

"Mrs. West, I requested you here because I have some concerns about Lina and her behaviour. I hope I'm not wasting your time.." Ms. Adrianne spoke softly, folding her hands together over the wooden table in a very down-to-business manner.

My mother, who looked at me disappointedly, sighed before responding. "Yes, I'm aware. I am too very troubled about what's been occurring. I've gotten a few calls home before, nothing too severe. But I never thought it would get to this point."

Rolling my eyes, I slouched in the uncomfortable fold-up chair and began to inspect my chewed up nails, not fond of this situation.

Ms. Adrianne cleared her throat. "Well I checked her records a couple times throughout this week, and can't help but notice that she has forty-two skips which have occurred throughout the year. Have you been informed of this?"

I smirked at her claim, trying to stop myself from snorting aloud. Forty-two skips? That has to be a new record.

Intentionally, my mother's eyes widened in shock. It's really too bad that she didn't get more experience during motherhood when raising my twin siblings, Joanna and Jackson. If they hadn't of had the fate of growing up perfectly, I guarantee you that my mother would have more logic when dealing with situations like these.

They owed up to perfect grades, perfect looks, perfect abilities, a perfect life. It was actually quite terrifying how they've never failed at anything. One simply cannot be raised without committing mistakes, because without them, you'll never learn. You'll never live. Taking risks, means pursuing your dreams and living life to its fullest. So that at the last moments you're living, you don't regret doing the things you wish you could've done. But at that point, it's too late.

My mother laughs nervously. "Huh, well this is very new to me. I haven't been informed, no. This is very worrying. As a mother raising three kids and teaching them to be obedient, you'd think they'd have some self-respect and attend classes." She nudges me with her elbow, eager for me to pay attention and stop dozing off.

"It truly is, Mrs. West, I agree with you on that note. Attending classes in high school is a joke to a very large portion of students, especially seniors like Lina herself. I can understand where she is coming from due to experience, but what kids don't realize these days is that when they're off to university or college, it's no joke.

"You need to show effort, appreciation, and dedication. If you want to be successful in your studies, as I suspect Lina wants to, you have to stay committed and faithful to your dedications. Skipping classes and precious time you could've had to be nourished with new knowledge, is simply not an option. Which is why I'd also like you to be aware of the fact that Lina is doing very poorly in her studies, especially Maths. I'd like to know if you've looked into this recently or ever?"

This is already holding the record as longest parent/teacher conference ever. So what? I skipped classes and I'm failing courses. I'll eventually pick myself up out of the dirt. I'm doing terribly, I know that, but people don't seem to acknowledge the fact that I can do it and I believe in myself. I'm just sick and tired of being in a place that's not going to help me in preparation for my future career, and I don't think I've ever made that point more obvious. I don't want to attend a fancy university or be spitting images of my mother and father. I want to be successful, I'll tell you that. But not in the same industry they work in. However, if I were to tell them that I'd be an even bigger disappointment to this family than I already am.

"Yes, I've looked into it before and I'm doing everything in my power to push Lina harder and make her reach your expectations. I'm terribly sorry for what's been occurring. I've attempted to get my older twins, Joanna and Jackson, to help her with studies. But she refuses to cooperate. It's as if it's just words and numbers to her, like it makes no sense. I've never had a problem like this with my older kids." Her lips form into a sly smile. "They've always been such intelligent, responsible, and characteristic students." She adds on proudly, resulting in me letting out a frustrated groan.

"Don't you dare bring Joanna and Jackson into this." I mutter with a glare.

My mother scoffs, and Ms. Adrianne looks confused with the tension filling the room as she furrows her eyebrows together. "I'm sorry, Lina, but I'm playing my role as a proud mother. Don't you understand? They're honour students who graduated high school with tons of awards and special credits. They attend Harvard University. I have a right to be great full for them." She retorts crossing her arms defensively.

She's never understood the situation. "Yes, you're right. Joanna and Jackson are wonderful students, the kids every mother and father want their children to look up to. I understand that all you're doing is being encouraging and whatnot, but you let that get to your head. And now every single day I have to listen to you rant about how I'm such a letdown to our successful family, how I'm so indifferent. Have you yet to learn that people like me don't enjoy being compared to people like Joanna and Jackson?

"Because of you, all I've ever been known as is the rebellious, disappointment who will never grow up and achieve, not mine, but your goals. Your dreams. It kills me internally to know that I have to deal with your inconsiderate words in public; especially in front of Ms. Adrianne. A few years from now, I'll be wealthy and victorious, and I'll prove to you that everything thing you've ever said or thought in the past is completely irrelevant.

"Call me disrespectful as if I care. I'm only doing my part; standing up for my opinions and choices. Isn't that a trait you've always wanted your perfect children to have?" By the end of my rant, I'm standing up looking down at my astonished mother and teacher. I'm aware that I must've looked like a maniac during the moment as I flailed my hands around in frustration, and rushed my words.

But I'm so over this constant topic. It's become and everyday thing by now. Something I try to put an end to but my mother won't let me forget how Joanna and Jackson attend Harvard University and have done nothing but succeed within the past few years.

Maybe from a distance, our family looks wealthy and content. However, when you enter the household it's complete chaos. It's a family broken beyond repair, no one attempting to somewhat put it back together. Although, I don't blame them. It'd take a lot of effort to tie our family back together.

Picking up my school bag, I exited the classroom and began to stride down the hall, eager to escape what had just happened. It was embarrassing to pick a fight with your mother when everyone expects you to be well behaved and mannered. I cursed at myself for not being able to save my rant for until after the interview was over, but I feel as if I kept it in, it would've never came out afterwards.

If there's one thing I was taught as a young child growing up, it was that there is no such thing as a broken family. That a family isn't represented by the occasional arguments they have, flaws, or mistakes they made. Because family comes from the heart, and a strong, affectionate family that comes from the heart is undefeated.

Clearly, I was lied to.

<3 <3 <3

"Too many high hopes, too many disappointments."