Chapter Six

( Jace at the top)

Lexi's POV
--

Light seeped into my eyelids in pale red hues as they danced from one edge to another. I felt my head on a soft pillow, as well as an indentation next to me, my arms restricted to my sides with a heavy weight pressing down onto them.

I opened my eyes, quickly readjusting my vision as I was momentarily blinded by the lone light that shone over my bed.

I groaned as my parched throat was burning, and was immediately granted relief by cooling gulps of water as I drank greedily from the glass that was held to my mouth.

" Oh my god, Lexi? Lexi, look at me."

I lazily opened my eyes and turned my head to face Jace, his hand grasping onto mine tightly, his knuckles turning white as he gripped the sheets of the bed with his other hand.

" Ja-" but before I could say his name, warm arms encircled my waist, pulling me towards his body, heat radiated from his chest as I was cocooned within his bear like embrace.

I smiled softly as he gently squeezed me, before another pair of arms wrapped around me from the back.

" Oh, thank god, Lexi." Roman said, his head resting atop mine, whilst Jace kissed my forehead.

I brought my arms around my two brothers, the atmosphere was filled with sighs of relief.
But our momentary hugging session was interrupted by a voice from the doorway.

" Be gentle with her!" It hissed, footsteps getting louder as Jace was wrenched away, only to be replaced by Kyle.

" Hey, babygirl. How are you feeling? Any headaches? Nausea? Stomach pain? Are you hungry? Thirs-"

" I'm fine, Kyle." I smiled up at him, his eyebrows furrowed with concern, biting his lip, something he does when he's worried.

" Good." He sighed, grabbing onto me. His arms around me made me feel so safe, so protected. I sighed in content.

" You scared me, Lexi. " he whispered, his voice muffled as he buried his face in my neck. " I thought I was gonna lose you."

" But you didn't. I'm here, Kyle." I said, my hands fisting his shirt, my eyes tearing up, knowing the weight of one's pain of losing a loved one, having to cope with that pain again would be unbearable.

" Jace, go get the doctor." Kyle said, his arms still holding me securely in his arms, not intending to let go any sooner.

" Hey, care to share? I mean, I'm her brother too you know." Roman started, rolling his eyes at Kyle who had his tall, lean figure fully wrapped around me.

" Shut the fuck up."

--

Returning to the house after a plethora of check ups, I took a deep breath in, thankful for the change in the air from a sterile, pressurizing atmosphere to one of warmth and familiarity.

I heard the car door close, turning around I faced Roman, his hair a chestnut brown under the late afternoon sun rays that danced atop his head.

" Put your arms around me, princess." He said, looking down at me, his arms stretched out as he towered over my petite figure.

" Umm, okay." I placed my arms around his neck as I tiptoed to hug him, but suddenly felt the ground beneath me transcend into an airy gust of wind.

I let out a surprised shriek as I was lifted off the ground with Roman's arms placed beneath the back of my knees and back, stabling us.