x. reunion

As Scully closes the door to principal Tarren's office on her way out, she's suddenly pulled into a tight hug.

"Dana! Oh, God, are you alright?" Monica exclaims as she slowly lets go, realising she hugged her a little too tightly.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Scully replies, chuckling at her best friend's display of affection. "Why, what'd you hear?"

"We've been told you got into a fight with Dermott." John answers, walking closer to them. "Listen, if that's true, he's going to get his ass kicked next time I see him."

"That's not... Exactly, what happened," Scully starts, "And, he already got his ass kicked. And knocked out."

"Then what happened?" Monica asks, still worried.

"Listen, maybe we should go somewhere more appropriate, cause it's a long story." Scully answers.

"Where to? I can drive us there." John smiles, pulling his keys out of his jacket pocket.

Scully shrugs.

"How about The Moonshine?" Monica suggests.

"Sure, I guess." The redhead nods, despite the fact she still hasn't forgotten their last conversation at The Moonshine.
It haunts her, in a way.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
They take their seats and order. Two cups of tea for Scully and Reyes, one cup of black coffee for Dogget.

"So, tell us, why'd you get in a fight with Dermott?" Dogget asks, leaning back in his chair.

"Well, dad," Scully starts, "I walked in on Dermott--"

She pauses.

Does she lie to them? Say that Dermott was beating up some other innocent classmate? She didn't care about their opinion on Mulder, anymore, but how would he feel about her telling people that he got the soul beaten out of him, and that she rescued him?

She already lied to Monica at the same place, though. Same place, same time, same person, different day.

Is she really willing to turn the cute new café into a temple of lies?

"I walked in on him beating up Mulder," she continues.

Monica's eyes widen, and John raises an eyebrow.

"So I helped him out a little. Mulder, that is," she finishes.

"What a long story," Dogget jokes, crossing his arms.

"Did you get hurt?" Monica asks, kicking John under the table.

"Nope. I got two weeks of detention, but it's nothing." she replies, forcing a smile. "I'm more worried about Mulder."

"We saw him on our way over to you. Dermott did a number on him." John replies, and Monica nods.

"So, what're you gonna do?" Monica asks, a worried expression still present on her face.

"Nothing. Two weeks of detention, I guess. And I'll finish our Chemistry project."

"You should check up on him tomorrow." John suggests.

All three stop talking once the waitress arrives to set down their drinks.

"I don't think that's smart," Scully replies after a pause that lasts even after the waitress leaves, "I don't think he'd want to see me so soon after."

"I doubt that. He asked John for your phone number on the way out, said he might not be at school next week, and that you have something to tell him, so he gave us his." Monica corrects her.

"Mhm." John confirms, handing her a tiny piece of paper with a phone number messily scribbled on.

She smiles, gently shoving the already crumpled piece of paper into her jacket pocket.

"Oh, John, isn't it cute?" Monica rests her head in her palm, dramatically sighing.

A smile dances across his lips. "Adorable."

The word sounds weird when he says it. His voice is raspy and deep. Well, as deep as a 17-year-old's voice can be.

"What is?" Scully smirks and raises an eyebrow.

"Isn't it obvious?" Monica starts, grinning. "I mean, he clearly likes you. He couldn't muster up the courage to ask for your phone number personally."

"Oh, come on," the other playfully rolls her eyes, "he might just be shy. He's always nervous when he talks to people, really - though I didn't really see him talk to anyone else. Maybe he didn't want me to get the wrong idea about him asking for my number. Or, or -- he could've just forgotten, and remembered when he saw you guys. There's tons of different possibilities, either way."

"Seriously?" Monica narrows her eyes at Scully's lengthy explanation.

John takes a long sip of his coffee.

"Seriously. We're just friends - or acquaintances. I don't think we can even be considered friends." Scully mutters, "We haven't talked much outside of class, nor have we hung out."

That's right, Dana, deny everything.

"I think he considers you a friend." Dogget replies.