Chapter One

I could have died many times last year... It started with a car at school and mysterious transfer student with horrible rumors.But ever since then things haven't been the same.
It was the first day of school and I was walking by the schools front office when my ring fell off my thumb. My favorite one that was given to me by my dad before he died. It was a regular, old, silver engagement ring that never really fit on my long slender fingers.

I squatted down to pick it up. Everything else that followed felt like a five second blur: Steve Beckett's car speeding down the parking lot coming my direction. Me, kinda frozen in my squatting position watching this happen and assuming the driver would see me and put the car to a stop.
It didn't.
He kept speeding through the parking lot, towards me. Running into Kim's car that was pulling in...He missed it by two seconds. At some point I remember Kim yelling "Stop driving you idiot!".
The car didn't stop at almost hitting into someone else...It continued racing towards me not missing a single beat.
My heart stopped but then started speeding up right away, adrenaline coursing through my veins bracing me for whatever bad happens next. The wierd thing was is what happened a few seconds later and I could have never prepared myself for...
Being pushed out of the way.
My neck and shoulders slamming into the concrete side walk with enough force to cover me in blood, scabs, bruises and scars.
The burning of my skin felt like it was burned and then rubbed roughly with poison ivy. As I slammed into the concrete, my black trench coat and my shirt sliding up my back as I slid across the hot, black asphalt tearing up more then three layers of skin.
Then he touched me but in a wierd way.
"Are you okay?" The mystery boy asked. His voice was deep but almost in a soothing kind of way. I then tried to open my mouth to say something but nothing came out.
"Shh. . . Don't try to talk" He whispered very soft on my ear. Truth is... I couldn't talk and if I did it would probably come out in squeaks. It felt as if I went through a lung surgery and the doctor forgot to numb me and put me under medication but then, he broke me open and spilt me up in half and stole my breath.
"Blink once if you need to go to the hospital. Twice if your ok." He whispered.
I blinked twice, but honestly I didn't want to I felt like I wanted to stay there forever. I didn't want to move because I was looking at him- the delicate angles of his face, his dark green eyes, with hints of worry; and his pink pale lips in a frown of concern and how he creases his eyebrows studying me. Despite how much of an innoppropriate the time was for admiring him it was sadly... time to snap out of it.
He glanced over in search if the reckless driver when Kim yelled "I called 9-1-1!"
The boy, who was hovering over me probably a year or two older turned back to me. His shoulders were broad under his black leather jacket. "Are you sure your going to be alright?" His face was too close for comfort but I didn't mind, he smelled like a mixture of sugar and motorcycle gas.
I nodded and breathed in and out slowly, relived my lungs were working and I was still alive. "How's Steve?" I mouthed still not being able to talk.
He looked over shoulder again. I could see where the car had stopped halfway to the front office on the grass.
The boy, noticed how close we were to each other maybe, then moved back a bit and stopped hovering over me. He then sat down right next to me and ran is right hand through his dirty blonde, corn silk hair and sighed.
And then he touched me. My stomach to be exact.
His hand rested there, almost accidently.... I think. My reasoning is he seemed more startled when he touched me then I was. He just stared at me with new extreme intensity, his eyes wide full of something I can't explain and his lips slightly parted.
"What is it?" I manage to say my voice sounding raspy, then I notice something. A scar on his fore arm making a cross.
Instead of answering like a normal human being, he then pressed his palm harder against me and closed his eyes almost in some sort of thinking a deep one too. His wrist grazed the bare skin just above my navel, where my shirt was still pulled up showing my scrawny figure.
It almost made me lose my breath again.
A few seconds later an ambulance came in zooming into the parking lot, at what have had to been a hundred miles per hour. The siren blaring and the lights going from red to white, then the handsome boy backed away, taking his hand off... just like that.
He crawled free of me, then he just darted from where I was to a motorcycle . Hopped on, started the motorcycle, revved it up and sped away down the street.
Before I could ask what his name was...
Before I could thank him for saving my ass.