Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

Chapter 7

Other than a few sentries, everyone had gathered inside the biggest building in the compound. It used to be an airplane hangar, but now that the limited amount of aviation fuel was gone, the planes had been towed down the road to free up more space.

We barely fit inside since there were about twelve hundred of us in the Wainwright Fort now. Most still wore the white name tags of trainees, but in a few hours, there would be a few less white tags and more official badges. There was a stage up front and marked pathways leading up to it. People could stand anywhere except on the designated pathways.

Kailey was practically bouncing with excitement while Evan grinned at her energy. The Base Commander walked up on stage and dead silence reigned without him asking for it. Everyone was waiting in anticipation.

"Welcome everyone to our graduation day! Tonight, we are going to call up those who have proven that they have the experience and knowledge beyond their trainee status. We have quite the list tonight, so let's get started!"

Cheers, hoots, and whistles echoed off the walls in loud approval and excitement. I couldn't even hear my own cheer amongst the noise. The Base Commander would name a profession, and then go one group at a time as he called up individuals within that group who had graduated. People didn't pay attention to last names, instead, people knew professions and who belonged to which Group Leader.

Everyone cheered as each person was called up. As they left the stage, the noise died down to allow another name to be called. Dozens of professions abounded from Builders and Nurses to Cleaners and Mechanics. The various teams kept this place running, doing almost any task imaginable or required, although they rarely – if ever – went outside the fence.

The Guards, Raiders, and Foragers were normally the only ones who ever went outside of the perimeter fence. Most people thought we were nuts to leave the safety of the fence.

They began announcing the Cooking graduates, and Kailey practically vibrated with excitement. I was also listening intently, eager to see if we were correct.

"Group Leader Emily nominates Kailey!"

The usual cheers, hoots, and whistles sounded. My cheer was far louder than my previous ones as I gave her a high-five. Kailey let out a whoop before trotting up to the stage amidst the cheering. Evan was sure making a lot of noise while she was on the stage. I began to wonder if he may lose his voice at this rate. Then again, I was cheering so loudly that my throat hurt.

Kailey came back, with anyone within reach offering congratulations and backslaps. She proudly showed off the deep yellow badge on her shirt that declared her to be an officially trained Cook. I swung her around in a hug, well, as much as I could with so many people crowded together. Those around us didn't mind; they were just as excited and made a bit of room to allow me a few rotations.

We cheered as others got nominated. They were now on the Foragers, I cheered loudly as several people I knew from other Foraging groups went up. Ties of friendship and trust ran deep when they were forged in the face of constant danger and threat. Foragers and Raiders needed way more training than most other professions, and most of us still wore our white badges.

"Group Leader Alex nominates Diane!" Cheers rang as I froze in shock. I had no indication that I might be graduating and the announcement had caught me completely off guard. My teachers were still pushing me through numerous classes, indicating that I had more afterwards. Kailey tackled me in an excited hug, much to the amusement of observing bystanders. I quickly shook off my shock and disentangled myself from Kailey before jogging to the stage with a huge grin on my face.

I went up to the Base Commander who shook my hand. As I unpinned and handed over my white name tag, the Base Commander held out the green badge that Foragers wore. I took it with shaking hands and quickly pinned it on. The cheers were still echoing around us.