Chapter 11

Cody

Cody

I can't believe I just said all those things with a camera in my face, on a live stream. A live stream that would be visited now or later by a lot of people I knew. Including probably my parents.

I must've looked stupid as heck too, with my big red head and babbling, yet at the same time unable to get words out. But it was still easier than saying it with Mason standing in front of me. I'm sure I would've tripped over my words even more then.

"Did you drink something?" Coach Carta shoved a water bottle in my hand. He'd already turned to Britt, asking her the same question before I could answer.

The coach was a little short with me. I'm not sure if he approved of my speech. He didn't straight up say he thought it was bad, but it was a distraction and I knew he hated distractions. Then again, it would've been an even bigger distraction not to have tried to talk to Mace.

Noel assured me he'd make 'the smurf' watch the live stream if I had the balls to confess on camera. He also promised they'd be in time to watch the whole meet. There was no way I could check if he kept his word, but I couldn't help but glance at the audience every few seconds to see if Mace was there anyway.

"Could you stop your fiddling already? You're making me nervous." Britt pulled my cap and goggles, which I'd unconsciously been toying with, out of my hands.

"Sorry," I told Britt, and she shook her head and sighed.

"Cap me then? So you'll have something useful to do with your hands?"

"Yeah."

She and I were the only ones left still waiting for our first heat. Benjamin and Dylan had gone earlier, and they'd also looked happy to leave because of my fiddling.

It was almost time for me to head to my lane for the 100m freestyle, but there was no Mace in sight. I pulled Britt's cap on her head.

"Do you think Mason will make it here in time?" I asked her and the coach. "He never missed one of my bigger meets."

"For all our sakes, Lord, I hope so," Britt replied with a slight smile, patting her cap to check if I put it on well. "Either you end up dating this guy or we'll all be driven nuts before the end of the day."

Coach Carta dragged a hand up his forehead. He then grabbed me by the shoulders and looked right into my eyes. "Listen to me son: after that speech of yours? Mason would be crazy not to rush to you immediately. But even if he doesn't, even if he's not here for the meet, you can do it. You can win with or without Mason here. Got it? It's on you. Get on the blocks."

"...Yes coach."

The coach gave me only last firm pat on the back, Britt gave me a thumbs up, and then I started walking to my lane.