Chapter Ten

Oh God! Oh God!

She crawled back from the goliath howler, her hand immediately going to pull out the machete, as the snarling beast stalked towards her. She scrambled to her feet and held the blade out in front of her, ready to fight for her life. It growled and kept its distance, watching her as if planning it's next move. As if it held some form of....intelligence.

Something dropped down behind it and before it or Valleri could react the massive howler was being thrown into a wall...by Colt, who stood tall, his knife at the ready. He. Is. Strong. 

A little too strong. How could he be that strong to throw-

The beast roared and Colt glanced at Valleri and she gasped when she saw his eyes.

"Get to a corner. Now." The massive Irishman growled, looking deadly. His expression sending chills down her spine. She nodded-unable to speak-and rushed to a corner.

That is when the fight began. The two collided, landing blows, Colt being wary of the beast's claws. Halfway through the brawl, Colt had lost his blade and was now punching the beast.

"Hoooowwwwwllll!"

Valleri's gaze snapped to an open doorway and watched as another howler charged in, tackling Colt. She gasped and jumped to her feet and was about to run to them, but Colt kicked the beast back, quickly regaining his footing in time to punch the other howler. 

"Colt!" She took a step forward and Colt's gaze snapped to her and, once again, she found herself startled by his eyes.

He growled. "Get back!" 

She wanted to disobey but with how wild and terrifying he looked right now, she didn't think that was wise... so she quickly ran to the doorway and slammed the door shut, and locked it, to prevent any more howlers from entering. She saw a massive book case beside it and immediately worked on knocking it down. It took some effort but she was able to push the bookcase down, sending it crashing in front of the door. And she was right to do so for the second she did, something banged against the metal door. 

She pushed her body against the bookcase, pressing her side into it to help it keep the howlers out. As they banged ferociously against the door it jostled open slightly, pushing the bookcase and nearly causing Valleri to slip. She quickly regained her balance however and pushed harder.

Valleri looked to Colt to see him rip a howler's head off with his bare hands, right before he was knocked into a wall by the larger one, his head ricocheting off the brick. He looked dizzy but that didn't prevent him from finishing off the fucker.

Bang! Bang!

Valleri whimpered as more howlers fought to get inside. Colt looked to her and took one step toward her, but his eyes rolled into the back of his head, and he collapsed to the ground, blood seeping from a wound upon his head.

"Shit..." Valleri gritted out as more seemed to bang at the door.

Her heart pounded, her mind whirled, and as she looked at the limp form of her companion, it dawned on her that she just might die tonight. What a way to go. Fighting for your life against some slobbery, smelly Howlers. Could be worse though. She could be having a heart attack at some concert, with R Kelly shouting into a mic. That thought gave her goosebumps from disgust.

God, I hope they got him. Fucking basic bitch.

Whoa...chill out Satan.

A particular howler slammed against the door so hard the bookcase shot back hard against her, causing her shoulder to dislocate. She screamed in pain, quickly running over to Colt, pulling out her machete as she readied herself for a fight. From the darkness of the hall, she saw red eyes staring at her, zoning in on her flesh. 

She whirled around as something dropped down behind her, her eyes widening when she saw Louise with masked figures, their guns aimed at the howlers. Louise looked down at her, winked before she cocked her gun.

"Rock out with your cocks out!" One screamed with glee.

Louise rolled her eyes and he and the others fired off rounds, taking all the howlers down in a matter of seconds.

Valleri was too shocked to move. Too shocked to do anything really. The only thing she could do was collapse on the floor from exhaustion and pain.